Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with everything

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have a big problem with my computer. For some reason now, when I go to turn on my computer, it starts to load up. It gets to where it's loading up Windows XP, then it beeps and starts all over again, like I just turned it on.

I can't get into my computer for the most part now. I can press F1 and F10 to get into Setup and whatever, and I get the menu where I can choose to go into Windows XP Home Edition or the Recovery Console (automatically goes into XP, obviously).

I would like to somehow save all of my data: documents, mp3s, photos, and the folders that everything is listed in. Other than that, I am willing to reinstall Windows if I have to. Should I reinstall Windows? What discs and other stuff do I need to do that, and what are the steps in doing that? Or can I fix everything without having to reinstall Windows?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
try this and if you have no joy post back

I think the simplest thing would just be to repair the os.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I'll give it a try, thanks.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I used my Windows XP CD to do the system repair. Not many things work like they used to, though. Some examples: Windows Media Player needs to be installed from the Microsoft website; SlimBrowser, the web bwoser I was using, will open but won't let me open any web pages (I'm using Windows Explorer as a browser now); Youtube won't show any videos; Hotmail won't let me add attachments; etc. Windows has the little icon in the toolbar telling me that XP is no longer up to date but when I click on it even that doesn't do anything. How can I start to make these things back to normal?

Edited by xzmattzx, 18 December 2006 - 09:13 AM.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Some other problems: I can't uninstall programs; I can't get new webpages to come up when I click on a link; etc.

Thanks for any help.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you save your data so that you can do a clean install?
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp
Johanna

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Not sure. I tried transferring files onto my external hard drive but it wouldn't work. Any way I could save everything?

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yup, I'm leaning towards reinstalling Windows completely. I'll try putting everything onto my external hard drive when I get home from work. Hopefully that goes well.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I clean-installed Windows XP. I'm working on re-installing my programs and everything. One problem I'm having with is the audio; specifiaclly, I tried to view a video on Youtube and only the video worked, not audio. I went into Device Manager and saw the warning signs next to Multimedia Audio Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatable). I tried istalling them in Device Manager with the Windows XP CD, but it didn't work. Should I have a floppy disk for them or something?