Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS dos problem

• Please log in to reply

haywired

haywired

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Dos has just decided to give me "Bad command or File name" when I enter a command. This happened all of a sudden and I can't find any spyware or virus.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very likely the path name is incorrect. Make sure your Command folder is properly named and the Msdos.sys file is correct and in the Command folder.

haywired

haywired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Scince I don't know how to check this, should I have a pro handle it? I know just enough to get by most of the time. I only use dos to delete history, cookies, and temp files.

Edited by haywired, 16 December 2006 - 08:19 PM.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
What was the command that you entered?

haywired

haywired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
deltree tempor~1
deltree history
deltree cookies

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Haywired,

Tyger was right in the post above. You need to make sure that your path is correct and/or the file is actually on your drive. What you can do is...

Start your computer in MS-DOS mode and type the following exactly. (Only if using Windows 95/98).
Press the enter key after each line and enter Y for yes when prompted.
Smart drive speeds things up.

CD\
smartdrv
cd\windows
deltree tempor~1
deltree cookies
deltree history

If you still get the "Bad command or File name" error, you can see if you have the file deltree on your system by doing the following:

cd\
cd\windows
dir del*.*

This will list all the files in your c:\windows directory that start with "del". You will be looking for the deltree file. If it is not there, you will need to copy it off your boot disk into the c:\windows directory.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Also, when using the DELTREE command, you need to be in the parent folder of the sub-folder you want to delete.

For example, if the 'History' folder is in the 'Windows' folder, you need to have the DOS prompt logged in to the Windows folder before the command DELTREE HISTORY will be accepted.

C:\Windows>deltree History

But this won't work:

C:\>deltree History

The rule of thumb is: To delete a file you need to be logged into the folder containing the file.
To delete a folder you need to be logged into the folder containing that folder.

Edited by pip22, 17 December 2006 - 12:43 PM.

haywired

haywired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
CD\
smartdrv
cd\windows
deltree tempor~1
deltree cookies
deltree history

If you still get the "Bad command or File name" error, you can see if you have the file deltree on your system by doing the following:

cd\
cd\windows
dir del*.*

I did all this with no success. I also had a problem this weekend accessing a web site I go to. It gave me the ACCESSS IS FORBIDDEN to web server. 403 and something about Apache 3.3.9 (I think) and thenfor no aparent reason it went away and I was able to access that site. I had problems with my Frontage software a week ago, so I'm begining to think it's related somehow.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

cd\
cd\windows
dir del*.*

I did all this with no success.

When you did the above, did it list the deltree file? Or was it missing?

haywired

haywired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

cd\
cd\windows
dir del*.*

I did all this with no success.

When you did the above, did it list the deltree file? Or was it missing?

I get

DELETEFI INI
TMPDELI BAT
QDW16DEL EXE
DEL TMP
4 FILES
0 DIR