Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

networking XP

• Please log in to reply

ron rideout

ron rideout

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I added an XP Pro machine to mt small home network. It is connected w/a wireless connection. It can "see" the network and other computers; the other computers can see it; but I am denied access to it from the other computers. What setting(s) am I missing/what do I try??

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Firewall?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's pretty hard to know what you've missed without knowing what you've done. What operating systems are on the other machines? If it's Linux you'll need to enable a server to share files with Windows machines.

ron rideout

ron rideout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Firewall?

According to the XP Pro machine, the firewall is configured to allow this machine to share files and printers.
BTW, the other operating systems on the network are Win98SE and XP Home. I am using Verizon DSL and their gateway...the 98 machine is connected wireless and had no trouble joining the network. (Actually the XP Pro is showing up the the neighborhood, it just won't allow access from the other machines.

ron rideout

ron rideout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It's pretty hard to know what you've missed without knowing what you've done. What operating systems are on the other machines? If it's Linux you'll need to enable a server to share files with Windows machines.

I have Win98Se, XP media ed., and XP Home. The machines can "see" the pro machine in the network (neighborhood) so I have the workgroup and connections ok. I have Verizon DSL and use their gateway. (One other two of the other machines are wireless and I had no trouble getting them operational.) During the setup, the network setup claims that the firewall is configured for sharing files and printers, but the reply when I try to access the pro machine is Access Denied.