Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

creating a server?

• Please log in to reply

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
hey guys i hope it hasnt been asked before i had a quick look but couldnt find it.

I've been asked by a friend to set up a small network between a couple of computers. he wants all of the files to be saved on a common folder...On the uni computers they have a drive that appears on the mycomputer screen as like a h: and i was wondering how you make a network resourse come up without going into mynetwork places.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Mapping and file sharing.

Make a folder, dump all the common stuff in it. Right-click on it -> "Sharing and Security" -> Share this folder on the network -> Give it a name -> Allow to change the files. OK.

On the other computer(s), right-click My Computer -> Map Network Drive -> Browse to this new folder on the computer with the common folder, tell it to remap at logon and pick a drive letter. Job done. Remember to fire up the PC with the common folder first otherwise Drive H or whatever won't map automatically.

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks a lot very helpfull worked perfectly