Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA 1.5g/s compatible with SATA 3g/s?

• Please log in to reply

Marm

Marm

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Building a new machine.... Then I noticed the 10k RPM drive I have slated to be the main drive (also using a much larger, and cheaper, 7.2k drive for general storage) is only a SATA 1.5 drive. The mobo I have already purchased is SATA 3.0 only. Will the 10k drive work on this mobo?? I can't seem to find any 10k 3.0 drives.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SATA 3.0 is also known as SATAII, so its next generation SATA.

95% of technologies in the computer industry are backwards compatible so therefore the hard drive will be able to run in SATA 1.5 as will the motherboard.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
It should work just fine, but it will run at SATA1 speeds.

Marm

Marm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Not to be a [bleep] here, but in my research, I found that is not true. The organization (as per wikipedia, so pounce on them if this is wrong) was called SATAII when it released the SATA 3 standards. They actually do not like the SATA 3 g/s being called SATA II. *shrug*. Sorry.... just had ot say that.

Thanks anyways guys... thats what I was hoping it would be.

Will I notice a difference at all though?

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Dont think the difference will be very noticeable except in very disk intensive applications.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Not to be a [bleep] here, but in my research, I found that is not true. The organization (as per wikipedia, so pounce on them if this is wrong) was called SATAII when it released the SATA 3 standards. They actually do not like the SATA 3 g/s being called SATA II. *shrug*. Sorry.... just had ot say that.

Need to take everything you read on Wikipedia with a pinch of salt, seeing as anybody with an internet connection can edit any page on the encyclopaedia, therefore it has been known to be heavily wrong at times when a less informed individual edits something that was previously correct on the article.

Will I notice a difference at all though?

Probably not unless you do a lot of disk accessing or video editing/processing or use the system as a busy fileserver.