Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Graphic Cards?

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello
I was just wondering, i want 2 monitors on my computer, i was just wondering could i put 2 graphics cards in it to run both monitors? i dont want them to sync i want the desktop to be extended. can i do this?

Thanks

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Most new graphics cards have two video outs so you can hook up both monitors to one card. Even the cheap ones. Just double check before you buy it that it supports 2 monitors (they almost all do, I can't think of one that does not).

Note: The 2nd or both video outs may be DVI so if you have VGA cable monitors you may need to buy adapters (they may come with the card) which are very cheap.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
hello
thanks for you reply
i think ive heard my graphics card will support 2 monitors. it only has 1 vga output on it.
if thats the case can i jsut get an adaptor that will allow me to put in 2 monitors and itll go to 1 plug thing?
like a 2 to 1 adaptor

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I don't think there is such an adapter. Your current video card would need to have two video outs. One may be VGA (The one you are likely using now) the other may be slightly larger and white in color when you look at it from the end on, that would be the DVI one (If you have it).

If you do have that 2nd video out and its DVI you can get a DVI to VGA adapter for your 2nd monitor.

Here is a picture. On the left is a DVI output and on the right is a VGA output.

Posted Image

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
right ok then, thanks for your help

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I actually just found an adapter that lets you turn one port into 2 for two monitors but read they are problematic and the price is 100 Canadian. For that price you can get a new video card with dual outputs built in and it will be flawless.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
well im in the UK haha, never mind, im sutre i could get a new card somewhere cheap, maybe eBay haha

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
OK I am learning new stuff here to as we discuss so bare with me.

Yes, you can run dual video cards to do 2 displays, but if you gotta buy a 2nd video card, any video card you buy will likely have a dual head on it (so can support dual display all on its own)

Likely your motherboard has only one AGP or PCI-E slot which is likely already filled with your current video card. Which means to do dual video cards you would likely need a PCI video card. I have not seen a new one of those for sale in years.

So your best solution, since you wanted to add a card anyway, remains simply getting a card with dual heads (2 video outs).

Sorry if I have made this confusing. =/

BTW I found this vidoe you may find educational on setting up dual displays.

http://www.pcworld.c...e...id=4&pref=2

Edited by Serrik, 17 December 2006 - 11:25 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
If you do have two outputs like in the graphics card Serrick posted you can use it to do what I am doing...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uhh... Sorry about the mess of the desk, and cables... What can you expect from a teenager eh? :whistling:

Edited by SuperSam, 17 December 2006 - 11:50 AM.