Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled SP2 and SP1 on accident.

• Please log in to reply

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a question before I do the part where it says to create a fresh copy of windows without repairing. Does that mean i'll lose everything?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get to the screen with the Formatting options, the last choice should be to "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"...make sure you select this choice. So long as you don't format, your data will be ok. We will have to take ownership of your files, but they'll be recoverable.

Follow the guide and you'll be alright...don't rush, make sure each screen you see is like the one you see in the guide and that you select the suggested option.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks, for an update, i'm at like the 30 minute mark on the install.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool... :whistling:

You should be past the device installation, then. That's the spot most installations hang if they're going to...at 37 to 34 minutes.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay, the installation is done and I am now on my desktop. How can I restore my files?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open My Computer and double click on "Local Disk C:". Open Documents and Settings...what folders do you see in there?

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I see 2easy's documents (from my system before) and my new one. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take Ownership of the files in the old account and move them to the new one. This should be done from the Safe Mode Administrator account. There should be an option (a checkbox) to apply the action to all subdirectories...if this is ticked, you can take possession of a parent folder and all the folders in it at once.

Once you have all your files and you know they're ok, we'll see if we can fix the original installation...or remove it if need be.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

There should be an option (a checkbox) to apply the action to all subdirectories...if this is ticked, you can take possession of a parent folder and all the folders in it at once.

I looked at the link, but it said right click a certain file or folder to take ownership of. Which one do I do? Sorry i this a stupid question.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No such thing as a stupid question... :whistling:

Can you open the folder that holds your files? The old account in Documents and Settings? If you can, try to copy a folder and paste it to the new account (the one you're now using).

Advertisements

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes I can open it, and I just did as you said. :whistling:

Edited by 2easy, 17 December 2006 - 11:31 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Everything in good shape?

Edited by wannabe1, 17 December 2006 - 11:37 PM.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay, I did so. BTW I'm in my basement right now and my computer that i'm working on is 2 floors up. To avoid running up and down like I have been, is their a way I can get my network up and running. For some reason my linksys adapter isn't turning on and I can't set up my internet. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah...that would stink... :whistling:

Do you have the cd that came with the adapter? You probably need to install the drivers for it.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yea, trying to find them. Hopefully I can. If not, I may have to continue this tomorrow. It's 11:48 PM. Have to get up for school at 6:00 am. Let me look some more. :whistling: