Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled SP2 and SP1 on accident.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be here tomorrow, too. No hurry...the machine is running and your files are safe. The rest we can pick at whenever you have the time.

You can probably download the drivers you need from linksys.

Edited by wannabe1, 17 December 2006 - 11:53 PM.

Advertisements

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright, i'm now on this computer with the correct drivers. I guess i'm ready for the next step. One question though. Every like 10 seconds my computer beeps, and I have no idea why. It's weird.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did the beeping just start with this install or did it do it before?

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No, this is new to this install. It just does a single beep about every 10 seconds. The beep like cancels or lags my computer. It's weird. My page scrolling for internet is wierd to. Like when I scroll down, it's like a wave.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tell you what...let's not spend a lot of time on this install until we see if we can fix the old one. This installation is, hopefully, just here to get your data and keep it safe while we work on the other one.

This next step is a bit complicated, you you may want to do it tomorrow when you have more time. I'll post the instructions tonight, but it's going to take me a bit to type it all up.

We'll boot into Recovery Console again and see if we can replace the registry hives on the original installation.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, just to let you know I restarted my computer after installing these one updates and the beeps are gone. I don't know long it's going to take you, but take your time. If it's alright with you, I will just check your directions when I get home from school tomorrow at 2:30. Whatever works. I'm just happy that I can see my desktop. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How bad is the old installation? What were you running the repair for the first time? Maybe you'll be better off removing the old install and keeping the new one. We can go either way from here. I can let you look at the instructions first, if you'd like...then make up your mind. :whistling:

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, there was nothing really wrong with the old one. It was 2am and I just did something stupid. I had Microsoft windows xp media center 2005. It said it wouldn't work with something. I forget what it was now. So for some reason I uninstalled my service packs. :whistling:

Edited by 2easy, 18 December 2006 - 12:26 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot with the XP cd and, in the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to load Recovery Console.

Where before you were given only the one installation to choose from, you should now see two. 1. Windows XP Home and 2. WINXP. Select 1. Windows XP Home. Continue on to the command prompt just as you did before.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines exactly as they are below, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

When your machine starts up, you should be asked which operating system you want to start. Choose Windows XP Home and see if it will boot to this installation. Keep in mind that things may appear a bit different as the registry has just been replaced and most of the associations have been lost. To get these back, run a System Restore to a date just before you uninstalled the Service Packs.

Let me know how this goes.

Edited by wannabe1, 18 December 2006 - 12:42 AM.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll reply again in a few.

Advertisements

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry for the delay, but for some reason it didn't do anything. Black screen with cursor still. (Thats on WIndows XP Home) not WINXP.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Man...that installation must really be busted up for that not to work. :whistling:

Is the new installation running good? Good enough to remove the old one and move into the new one? You will have to reinstall many of your programs and we'll probably have to do a little tweaking to get it just right, but I think you'll be better off tossing the old install.

If you have all the data recovered, we can remove the broken install and edit the boot.ini to get rid of the operating system prompt at bootup.

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button.

A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The new installation is running perfectly, and I still have all my files. :whistling:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Edited by 2easy, 18 December 2006 - 01:26 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Local Disk C: and right click on the WINDOWS folder...choose "Delete" and accept the deletion.

Copy the red text below. Go back to the boot.ini file, right click in the window and choose "Select All". Right click again and choose "Paste" to replace the current boot.ini with the modified one. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save".

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Close all open windows and reboot. It should boot right up to the new installation without having to choose and you will have regained the space on the HDD that the old installation was using.

2easy

2easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright, did that. :whistling: