Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade from CD R/W TO DVD R/W

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
i own a laptop and it only has a DVD/R CD R/W i bought it around 3 years ago. my question is how would i know what can i upgrade it to. i want to replace my internal drive with a dvd R/W...but how will i know what will work?
thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Internal optical drives for laptops are custom made to fit each model, unlike those for desktop computers which are "one size fits all".
You will have to visit the website of your laptop manufacturer to see what, if anything, is available for your particualar model.
Generally speaking,if your laptop is made by a 'big name' manufacturer you are more likely to find they have what you want, whereas a more obscure brand may be more difficult to upgrade.

Your other option is to buy an external DVD-writer which plugs into a USB or Firewire port on your laptop. This means you're not limited by what your laptop manufacturer has to offer, but for reasonable performance your laptop must have either Firewire or USB 2.0 ports. The original USB 1.1 just won't cut it. The downside to this option, of course, is that you'll have to carry the dvd-writer around as well as the laptop.