Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error from windows

• Please log in to reply

chedge

chedge

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop with Windows XP. I keep getting the message "file missing framedyn.dll ". Can anyone tell me what this is and what should I do? I do not want to mess things up.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
This link may provide your fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319114

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok I went thru the steps but when it had me right click on the framdy.dll it wasn't in that box. So it is like frame isn't on my system

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I found a website where you can download the file. You can try that.

You should likely create a new system restore point before you try this.

Start-all programs-accessories-system tools-system restore
Follow the wizard to create a new restore point.

After that you can try downloading the file from this link and placing it in the folder that microsoft tutorial asked you to use.

http://www.dll-files....shtml?framedyn

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well thats part of the problem it will not allow me to create a restore without the frame.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Do you have service pack 2 installed?

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
not that I know of

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Right click "My computer" and choose "properties"

It will open up your system properties window and under the "General" tab there will be a "System" description which should tell you your windows version and if any service pack is installed.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Sorry I am running out of time here tonight, so I will give you what information I can give you.

As always, before making changes or updating your system you should be sure you have your important data backed up.

If you don't have service pack 2 installed you should run windows update and bring your windows up to date. You can do that by clicking "start" - help and support - and under tasks is an option to "keep your computer up to date with windows update". Do this until there are no more updates to install.

If/once you have service pack 2 installed that may solve your issue. If it does not I found this procedure that may help. I got it from this website: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/error.html

Locate the FRAMEDYN.DLL file, it may located in the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.

If found place a copy in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Or look for the compressed FRAMEDYN.DL_ file. This file may be located the C:\Windows\i386 folder or on the Windows install CD. I may be necessary to do a search of the drive to find this file.

Place a copy in the FRAMEDYN.DL_ file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Now go to Start - Run and paste the following command then press enter.

Expand %windir%\System32\FRAMEDYN.DL_ %windir%\System32\FRAMEDYN.DLL

This will expand the FRAMEDYN.DL_ file to FRAMEDYN.DLL within C:\Windows\System32

Please post back with your results. I will try to check in later, if not perhaps another support helper person can take over helping.

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for your help i do have sp2 on my system

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found frame in the 386 folder how do i copy it 32 folder

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it 182KB dated 04/08/2004

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it is the 182 dated 8-10-2004

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you used search including hidden and system files to find it, there should be two of those

[attachment=12227:attachment]

If you click the x at the top of search companion, then left click the file, it opens the copy option

Copy to the same two folders