Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Reinstall Problem...

• Please log in to reply

chris_knows

chris_knows

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just reinstalled the Windows on my sister's laptop, without deleting any files. I do this to my computer like once a month, where it just deletes the Windows and reinstalls it. Keeping all of my files. When I did it on my sister's computer, everything was fine, and the C:\ drive says that there's like 50 GB used space (Out of 75) (What it was before reformatting). Then, when I open the C drive and select all, right click and go to "Properties", it says that there's only 7GB used. Her "Program Files" folder is still just like it was (Although obviously the programs don't work), but when I go to C:\Documents And Settings\ Her old account profile, it says "Access Denied. Can Not Access Folder"...She has administrator privileges.

I've got two questions:
1.) Are her files gone?
2.) Is it my fault/Is there a problem with her computer that should be looked at?

Thanks for any replies!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chris_knows...

You'll need to Take Ownership of the files to recover them. This should be done from the Safe Mode Administrator account.

This is normal behavior when the files are located in an old user account and you are trying to open them from a new account.

wannabe1

chris_knows

chris_knows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi chris_knows...

You'll need to Take Ownership of the files to recover them. This should be done from the Safe Mode Administrator account.

This is normal behavior when the files are located in an old user account and you are trying to open them from a new account.

wannabe1

Thank you so much!! That fixed it! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're very welcome! :whistling: