Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Parallel XP Pro Installations

• Please log in to reply

emsdallas

emsdallas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Need some advice on how to proceed.

We have a dual boot XP Pro/98 standalone-no network.

C drive = Win98---Fat32---30 GB
D drive = empty—Fat32---30 GB
E drive = XP Pro—NTFS—80 GB
F drive = no OS---NTFS----80 GB

The current XP installation is a mess, due to a variety of issues (hdwe, software, registry hacking). I’ve lost track the number of repair installs done. My husband and I are the only users; our data is on the same drive as XP. There is so much data that I don’t want to even try to back it up. Also, we need to update the bios.

If I install (parallel) XP on the D drive (need to convert FAT32 to NTFS), will we be able to move the data from the original XP install to the new XP install?

Another alternative---since the current D drive is only 30 GB, I was considering replacing it with a new larger drive. Is there a way to move our data files (mostly Word, Excel, and pictures to the new drive, then reformat the E drive and do a clean install and still be able to access the data that was moved using the original installation?

Assuming that we keep both XP’s on separate drives, is there a way that both can access/share data files??

Should the bios update (flash) be done first??

Thanks!!
:whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you're going to buy a new hard drive anyway, go ahead, do that and put XP on the new drive. You can then copy your stuff from your old drive to the new one.

You shouldn't update the BIOS unless you really need to, as if it goes wrong it will render the system inoperable.

emsdallas

emsdallas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is it that easy?

Should I move the current data(on the E drive) we want to keep, to the Shared doc folder, so it can be copied to the new XP install on the D drive?

:whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have a regular back up routine? Consider using dvds, cds or an external hard drive to periodically back up your data. Data is relatively safe between partitions, but I wouldn't want to depend on only one hard drive. Is there any particular reason you are keeping the Win 98 install? You may just want to back up all your important files to another media, formatting and reinstalling a clean copy of XP. Then copy over your back up files. I agree with Neil, I would leave the motherboard alone. There is no reason to flash a BIOS unless you have trouble with it and the manufacturer recommends it.
Johanna