Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with reboot

• Please log in to reply

Mack25

Mack25

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My PC seems to have a problem with restarting. The past couple of days when i turn on my computer not everything will load (specifically msn msgr and my lan connection) and no matter what i click on nothing will work not CTRL-ALT-DEL or even to Start- Turn Off. So i turn it of by pressing in the I/O and holding for 5 sec then reboot in safe mode. ran virus and spyware scans and nothing turned up. I restart to normal mode and everything works fine. Then the next time i restart it the problem will repeat. Wonder if there is any explaination for this. Thank you,
Mack

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
how I cleanup XP

boot into safe mode (F8 key)

uninstall any unwanted programs

start windows explorer, click tools, folder options, view,

tick show hidden files and folders, sometimes you may need to Untick
hide protected operating system files as well click yes then OK

back to windows explorer click

C:\ drive

Documents and settings

There you will see a list of users including some windows makes on install of OS

Click on the user you use then look for

Cookies folder and delete all file and folders in there

Click on the cross next to local settings, in there is a temp folder and a temp internet folder you can delete all files and folders in there. As you are in safe mode any folders need by some programs will be recreated when you start in normal mode.

Delete any files/folders in C:\temp if you have one and C:\windows\temp

Some say to delete files in C:\windows\prefetch, they will be recreated when needed but you might have something in there that’s not needed anymore.

Lastly I use a free reg cleaner from

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

install and run the reg cleaner, when finished click on the select all text at the bottom of the program, click select all green items, move the mouse onto any selected item right click and choose delete, at the bottom right is a counter just have a look at the number before you hit delete than again after.

Run the usual in safe mode virus/adaware/spyware etc

Lastly do a defrag

see how we go from there