Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply

shelley64

shelley64

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I see this topic has come up several times, but I haven't seen any fixes that may help me. Have to dumb it down a little bit. I was using MiFiles last night to upload photos. Told it to disconnect and exit and then shutdown. Several hours later noticed the computer didn't sut down and was stuck waiting for MiFIles to close. Took care of it. This morning I get the blue screen unmountable_boot_volume. I rebooted, the ngot kernel_data_inpage_error. Then win32k.sys - address BF9165DE base at BF800000, date stamp 43446a58 begin dump of physical memory, dump complete. (Didn't think that sounded good), then an unknown hard error - stop C000021a.

It is a Dell laptop, XP home. If I start windows normally, I get a black screen, safe mode - the blue screens, and I also tried last known good config. I can't get anywhere. Of course, I needed to work today and going out of town Wed.

Thanks in advance for help.

Shelley

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Can you boot to the safe mode administrator?

If so, do a sfc_/scannow command at the prompt with the original setup CD in the bay...then reboot...

...get back to us...

Edited by b1caez01, 18 December 2006 - 11:41 AM.

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No, I can't do a safe boot.

I did read thru the help here and put in the XP disc and took too long to "hit any key" and the computer did boot up and everything looked fine. When I went to copy some important info off the computer it locked up. I rebooted, did the reovery console, chkdsk and got "one or more unrecoverable errors". Just came back to the site to see what else I should try when I got your response. Should I try your suggestion?

Oops, read your post again and you said to do this with the original CD in. I'll give it a try.

Shelley

Edited by shelley64, 18 December 2006 - 11:48 AM.

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Tried to boot without CD. Hit f8, selected safe mode with networking, got the list of files, but it seems to be stuck at the end of the last file forever, then I got c0000218 unknown hard error, blue screen. If I boot with CD, seems my only choice is to recover, etc.

****3:13pm - got computer to boot to safe mode. Getting all the important stuff off. Where should I go from here?

3:38 - that didn't last too long, (got blue screen) but I did get some info moved.

I do sometimes get windows\system32\config\sys is missing or corrupt - so is it a software or hardware issue?

Edited by shelley64, 19 December 2006 - 08:04 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Just got private message...and am responding here...

Hopefully, you have an a:\ drive...

1. Download MS XP recovery disk prog...you will need 6 floppies...this should get you to your main screen...

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

Go to Start>run> type in msconfig...if a popup appears, then the file is there...

And, or...

For an offsite anti-malware scan...

Go to... http://uk.trendmicro...call_launch.php

...and run HouseCall

For a complete malware house cleaning in Safe Mode...

Go to... http://www.trendmicr...ownload/dcs.asp

...download, install and run SYSCLEAN, you must also have the latest AV pattern file...get it here...

http://www.trendmicr...oad/pattern.asp

Virus Pattern Files / Cleanup Templates: The Virus pattern file protects customers against viruses. The Virus cleanup template automatically removes the virus from the customer's system.

>>>* Virus Pattern File (Official Pattern Release) - 4.123.00

[b]Put all files in the same folder on c:\ ...e.g.... C:\SYSCLEAN[b]

FIRE UP SYSCLEAN AND THEN GO HAVE A NAP...IT TAKES A WHILE

Shut down and reboot...any luck?

I am not going anywhere for the holidays...but I am busy none the less :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 19 December 2006 - 07:07 PM.

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No, no floppy drive on the laptop.

Ran chkdsk and one time it said it found a few errors and fixed them, but it didn't change my situation. Ran it again and it said unrecoverable errors. Still mostly get the corrupt or missing win/sys32/config/sys error when trying to get to safe mode.

Tried to repair the OS as in Susan9700 post on Oct 23rd http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html, but it asked about partitions. I left it at the default (my hard drive I thought) and it said there was already an OS on it and installing another wasn't a good idea. I exited before I made matters worse.

Can't get to the internet to run any of the malware scans. This sounds like a virus?

What next?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Some of these comments, are me thinking out loud...and so others can get an idea about what's churning about in my think-tank :blink: so just bear with me...

SysClean will work from the desktop...but you cannot access the desktop...

mmmmm... let's try this...

If you can reboot, hit the F8 key and go to Safe Mode Administrator...hopefully it will access the DOS window and from there you should be able to access SysClean...but that assumes you have it accessible in the first place...

If you feel all of this mucking about is tedious, do a reinstall of XP from the get go...

Boot it up, and just as the first black screen goes through its paces, tap the Del key a few times...hopefully this will get you to the DOS setup screen... what you want to do is just reinstall XP over the old setup...do not chose any option that will delete anything...

Do a wee bit of reading first, to get a feel for the process...here a few URLs to check out...

http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html < THIS ONE IF THE ROOF CAVED IN :help:
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm < THIS ONE MAY BE MORE UP YOUR ALLEY :)

XP In Place Upgrade: To perform an in place upgrade of XP, follow the steps listed below.

1. From Windows insert the XP CD into the CD player.
2. Choose install
3. Select upgrade
4. Follow prompts and when asked for Product Key, supply a valid Product Key.
5. Continue setup to completion and activate over the internet if necessary.
6. All updates and hot fixes will need to be reapplied.

You may want to disconnect from the Internet during the installation.

I REALLY LIKE THIS LINK... http://www.webtree.c...p/repair_xp.htm It has screen images...

Go down the list of options to

How To Repair Boot sector
How To Format
How To Partition
How To Exit the Recovery Console
How To Run a Repair Install
How To Uncover Windows XP Product Key
How To Change The Product ID
A better boot diskette for WinNT/2000/XP
Has XP Been Activated?

You will be taken here:
http://www.webtree.c.....isting Setup:

:whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 20 December 2006 - 08:09 AM.

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wow, what a lot of info, I don't know where to start.

1. Cannot get to safe mode to do sysclean.
2. If I understand correctly, a reinstall of XP will have me starting from the beginning and reinstalling all my applications right? Want that to be a last resort, but I think I am almost there.
3. tried the bootcfg - it didn't do anything. Cannot copy the files it suggested in the XPrepairinstall.htm. Tried rebuild and it wanted to know the load indentifier and OS load options. Had no idea... :whistling:
4. XP repair install - I enter windows set up, accept the agreement, and it searches for existing installs. Then I get a screen that asks about partitions. I don't get the blue screen shown in the help after the agreement page giving a choice to repair or continue installing a fresh copy. It lists existing partitions and gives me the option of set up windows, create a partition in an unpartitioned space or delete partition. If I select enter windows set up it tells me I am trying to install XP on a partition with another OS installed and it isn't recommended. I can then continue setup or select a different partition. I'm too chicken to continue. Didn't know if that was going to do a clean install or what.

Getting ready to hit the road, but will check email. Maybe I can get this fixed while gone. Did see mention of using another hard drive, making it master and copying this bad drive. Could do that on a desktop, but not sure how on a laptop.

Will wait for your answer.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
First off you have to tell yourself, I AM LARGE AND IN CHARGE! :whistling:
Second...decide right from the get go that you are going to lose everything no matter what you do.
Third...take all steps possible to save as much as possible of your hard work somehow...
Fourth...dive into the challenge with the confidence of knowing that if worse comes to worse, you've got the goodies cached away and we can go at it too and tongs. :blink:

Barring that, hit is with a hammer :help:

SERIOUSLY now...

Read everything before doing anything...

Wow, what a lot of info, I don't know where to start.

That's why I put numbers by the steps... :)
------------------------------------------
1. Cannot get to safe mode to do sysclean.

Can you boot to the safemode administrators DOS command function? ...not SAFE MODE as such but similar

1.When there you will get a command prompt...

2. At the command prompt,...it might say [ c:\windows\system32\ ] or something like that

3. ...anyway at that prompt type [ cd c:\ ] this will change the directory shown to a new one your c:\ drive;

4. then type in the the following

5. Recall our previous conversation...now you willl need to have written down on a piece of paper the path from c:\ to the folder where you left sysclean and its friends. Recall, that earlier I suggested that you Put all files in the same folder on c:\ ...e.g.... C:\SYSCLEAN[b]

6. So, at the c:\ type in the the following c:\sysclean\sysclean.com and hit enter...go have a nap :rofl: it will take a while...ignore all the on screen fireworks...

---------------------------------------------
[b]If I understand correctly, a reinstall of XP will have me starting from the beginning and reinstalling all my applications right? Want that to be a last resort, but I think I am almost there.

Not if you just want to overwrite what you already have there...you may lose some settings but no important stuff...

Pop in the install CD while in Windows...the install screen will pop up...go for the INSTALL, and then the Upgrade NOT THE FULL INSTALL, that will destroy everything for sure...the Upgrade just reinstalls the old files and overwrites them...sometimes old files literally get stale and.or jostled about on the hard disk, and need a reminder of what they are suppose do to and where they are supposed to do it from...

If you cannot get into Windows...boot it up, just before the bottom message tells you it is booting from the CD, hit the DEL key a few times to get into the BIOS...muck about on the tabs until you find the one that gives you the boot sequence, hilight it, then tap either the wee arrow beside it, or the + or - signs on the number pad...to get the options to change...we want it to boot from the CD if you have no floopy drive...had you a floppy drive you would have left it alone, and Windows would have found it and booted from the install floppies. Save all settings, and reboot...it should not do a regular boot from the install CD, if there are options just follow the most logical...you want it installed where it was before, so not on another partition, nor any where else...
-----------------------------

LET'S IGNORE THE REST OF THIS FOR THE TIME BEING...

ASK SANTA FOR A ADDON FLOPPY DRIVE OFF A USB PORT...

-----------------------------
3. tried the bootcfg - it didn't do anything. Cannot copy the files it suggested in the XP repairinstall.htm. Tried rebuild and it wanted to know the load indentifier and OS load options. Had no idea... confused1.gif

4. XP repair install - I enter windows set up, accept the agreement, and it searches for existing installs. Then I get a screen that asks about partitions. I don't get the blue screen shown in the help after the agreement page giving a choice to repair or continue installing a fresh copy. It lists existing partitions and gives me the option of set up windows, create a partition in an unpartitioned space or delete partition. If I select enter windows set up it tells me I am trying to install XP on a partition with another OS installed and it isn't recommended. I can then continue setup or select a different partition. I'm too chicken to continue. Didn't know if that was going to do a clean install or what.

Getting ready to hit the road, but will check email. Maybe I can get this fixed while gone. Did see mention of using another hard drive, making it master and copying this bad drive. Could do that on a desktop, but not sure how on a laptop.

Will wait for your answer.

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hope you are having a Merry Christmas,

Guess I should have said when I couldn't get to safe mode to do a sysclean, that I also tried safemode with dos prompt - couldn't think of any other way to get to cmd, but it said it didn't recognize the cmd sysclean and it listed all the commands and that wasn't one of them, so maybe I was in the wrong place.

I have an XP reinstall CD from Dell. Not a hologram CD. Will that work? See my #4 previously. I don't get an option to install like you normally would when installing a new program. Maybe the type of CD I have is the problem. DOn't know if I have anything else.

Will getting an add on floppy drive help me at this point? Can't be too expensive.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
At the DOS command prompt...you should be able to do a sfc_/scannow command from the prompt...insert the CD and see if it works...if it does then bob's your uncle :) If not, then at least we know that the disks cannot be counted on.

At the DOS command prompt...you should be able to just change the command line to where you are holding your sysclean file... cd c:\Sysclean\sysclean.com then hit enter ...although I have not done it this way before...I am always looking to learn something new...

My prompt usually comes out as... c:\Documents and Settings\... blah, blah, blah...

Or, c:\ whatever... what we want is to cd c:\Windows\System32 to get at those DOS functions in the System32 folder...

re: the XP disk...depends on what's on it... can you access it from another computer and make sure the i386 folder is there...That's the key business works :blink: If it looks like this, then it should be a[n] usable disk...

XP_INSTALL_DISK_IMAGE.jpg

As to an old floppy drive...hard to say, may be hard to find? ...don't know... check any non-big-box computer store, especially a small operation that builds computers. While you are there, see if they have a bootable access disk...there are lots floating around on the internet, but I have yet to get one to work...too simple for my polluted brain :whistling: I wish I could help more on that score... I know for sure they will have something, because their work depends on being able to access the hard drive... [that's where I got mine...they burned a copy for me :help: ]

shelley64

shelley64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry it has taken me awhile. The hard drive is bust. Had someone look at it and it is beyond repair. We were able to save some things. I couldn't get any of your suggestions to work as I couldn't get to the right area to try anything. Thanks for trying.