Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd rewriter and dvd rewriter problem

• Please log in to reply

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My cd re-writer & dvd re-writer have suddenly stopped working! They now have yellow exclamation marks against them when viewed in Device Manager. They are not visible in My Computer either. I have uninstalled them and reinstalled them. My writers when you look at Device Manager are shown as ''SCSI CD-ROM Device''. They are connected by IDE cable to the mobo. When I reinstall and look at the properties for the re-writer it states ''windows cannot initialise the device driver for this hardware.(Code 37)"
I have also tried plugging them into different ide channels on the mobo but still the same problem persists.

I have also tried using an external rewriter using a USB cable (mainly to see if I could at least get the external rewriter to work). This isn't appearing to be ''recognised'' by the pc. When I use the ''add hardware'' thru the control panel it lists the external rewriter in the ''installed hardware'' but this too has the yellow exclamation mark next to it!

Everything else on the computer appears to be working fine. I haven't installed any other hardware at all prior to the rewriters stopping working.
PLease help somebody :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Pauls2909...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there.........in response to your question...both upper filters and lower filters are listed. Did you get my reply that i sent back to you detailing the lower and upper filter dialogue?

Steve

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...I'm sorry, I didn't receive that.

In Registry Editor, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file filters and save it to your desktop.

Then right click on LowerFilters in the right pane and choose "Delete"...accept the deletion. Right click on UpperFilters in the right pane and choose "Delete"...accept the deletion.

Reboot.

Drives come back?

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there. Thanks for your reply and I have done as per your instructions with the regedit.
The 2 rewriters are now recognised. However, when I insert a CD into either rewriter, ''My Computer'' shows that a cd has been inserted. When I click on open or explore it asks me to insert a disc. If I open up Muic Match Jukebox I can play the cd from there but there is not sound. I have checked my audio properties and all seems in order there. Any idea on that?

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Further to my reply a couple of minutes ago. I thought I would run SFC from the ''run'' command. It wouldn;t accept this. A screen momentarily flashed up and disappeared before I could read anything, so I went to the command prompt box and enetered sfc/scannow. It asked me to insert my XP disc into the drive. This I did but it wouldn;t read it. When I looked at the drive thru 'My Computer' it told me to insert a disc. So one minute it will play a music cd with no sound but it looks like it won't read any data cd's?
Sorry if this is really confusing!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
in your control panel ..audio and sounds ..audio tab ..make sure that ..music match is the default

on all the drop menus

or what your using for your sound card put all drop menus at the default

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have clicked on Device Manager and sound & audio devices. There is no drop down at all for Music Match Jukebox. It states SB Live in the boxes which is my sound card and am pretty sure that these are the settings that have always been there/selected.
When I insert a music cd in either of my writers and open up My Computer, it shows a CD symbol against the drive letter. However, when I double click on it or right click and select open it asks me to insert a disc in the drive. If I then open up MMJ and click the CD tab it shows the contents of the disc in the writer and I can click on play. The track starts to play but no sound comes out. If i then click on My Computer and double click the drive it shows the track listing. Also if I close MMJ and double click on the drive in My Computer it shows the track listing!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Not Device manager

Follow this >>>START>>>CONTROL PANEL>>>SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICE>>

RIGHT CLICK AND OPEN>>YOUR NOW AT SOUNDS AUDIO DEVICES>> >CLICK AUDIO TAB

There should be THREE drop menus there >>Sound Playback>>Sound Recording>>

Midi Music Playback>>Sound Play back and sound recordings make to the next default in the drop

menu bottom one can remain as long as its microsoft gs Wave table>>>>>THEN CLICK OK

Hope that WORKS

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
have tried the above and still cannot get any sound out.....but to be honest this now seems to be the least of the problems. I still cannot access the drives in My Computer. I seem to be unable to run any installtation programs that are on cd-rom that I insert into the rewriters. It also won't access my USB card reader.....whenever I click on the card reader it tells me to insert a disc into the reader. The lights on the reader are all working and I have a memory card in the reader...but it won't access it.

It seems when I first got the initial problem with the pc (the PC not recognising ANY IDE rewriters) everything else was working fine. I followed the instruction about deleting entries thru regedit. Although this put the rewriters back on to the PC (which incidentally are still showing as the correct name of the rewriter but are showing as scsi cdrom drive....is this correct? as they are IDE rewriters and not scsi) I am still unable to run any discs from the rewriters.

Any further ideas anyone?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the XP installation cd?

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do have the original XP installation disc yeah.

Just as a point of interest......both of my CD re-writers are showing as SCSI drives when I look at them in Device Manager. They aren't SCSI but are connected via IDE cables. I was at my parents this afternoon and thought I would check their computer which has 2 re-writers attached via IDE. Their drives are NOT shotwing as SCSI writeres when I look in Device Manager on their machine.
I await your reply :whistling:

Steve

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of machine do you have? Does it have a VIA chipset?

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it is an ABIT mobo (model number might be bx-1.72M....that what it says on the disc I got with it)

Pauls2909

Pauls2909

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
my chipset is a SIS (SiS648) CPU to PCI bridge. I got this info from running Si Soft Sandra!! Hope this helps