Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not the regular 100% !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sergo

sergo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys

I searched all over the net for a solution to my problem, i dunno what to do..so heres the problem : I am using XP sp2 and my CPU usage reached 100% usage a month ago...it reaches 100 % then drops to 50% - 4 then might go back to 40% 100....etc...and my PC becomes slower by the day it has been like this up to now...first the sound starts to become slightly slow so i cant watch movies anymore..and when i play any game it becomes slower...till i reach the point where i have to format C and install XP again...i install XP by a rate of 2 or 3 times a week..
I tried the following :

1- Scaning with KAV : no result
2- Scaning with spybot : some adwares and spywares : removed but the problem is still there
3- Checking manualy for winlogon virus : no result
4- scaning with stinger : no results
5- Even removed my sound driver : no use
6- checked the taskmanager process list, nothing weird there except that i have 4 SVCHOST, one of them is
using 32,000 K mem, and also after a while i find a process called NMbigmonitor.exe, but it doesnt appear unless it has been 2 or 3 days since the last XP install ( maybe its a coincidence..i dunno)

everything is becoming slower , HELP GUYS !

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
hi Sergo, and welcome to Geekstogo.com

Can you clarify that you mean NMbgmonitor.exe not NMbigmonitor.exe?

NMbgmonitor.exe is a process run by Nero Home

Whenthe computer is slowing down, is there any evidence of any program running at a high CPU usage?

Thanks

Glen

sergo

sergo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i guess u r right abt the Nero process...
and back to ur question, i don have something that really uses up much of the CPU....

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
What antivirus and antispyware are you running?

sergo

sergo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
KAV, spybot, now am also runing uniblue registry booster, n btw guess what, ive just found a process runing called update.exe, some ppl r sayin its a virus, what do u think ?

P.S: the weird thing that i tried to check it again but i couldnt find it !! it was gone off the taskmanager list

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Are you running spyware doctor?

That is a process owned by that software?

I would recommend running, Adaware, and avg antispyware!

But for a full system clean, please try going tot eh malware forum, the experts there will be able to help you better than i can!

If you are still having problems once they have given you a full bill of health please post back!

thanks

Glen

Edited by glen_m_32, 18 December 2006 - 11:15 AM.

sergo

sergo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
nah, am not using that...u dont think its a spyware ?cuz ive found it again ....turns out it calls itself " system " process, and it pops up in the task manager every now and then

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.