Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,
I was wondering....I am getting a 320 gig mybook and I wanted to how and if I can run programs off the mybook using usb 2.0........such as adobe photoshop?....and if so how would it run?

Thanks

Jennifer

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...you can install the bulk of the software on the external drive (i.e. when you install photoshop...choose the external drive as the install locatioin) but there will still be portions of the software that will install to C:\ ...these portions will be the main portions of the program that HAVE to be in the same place as your windows installation....

by doing this the BULK of the program will be on the external drive (help files, stock photos, etc..) but the parts that make the program work will be on c:\ so you won't be able to run the software WITHOUT having the external drive plugged in...if this is a desktop that you're hooking up to...then this shouldn't be too big of a problem...as you shouldn't be removing the drive that much....if you're hooking up to a laptop...well...then this method isn't suggested because there might be times when you don't have the drive with you...but still need to run the software