Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem accessing sites

• Please log in to reply

scribs

scribs

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Guys,

I am having problems accessing a website.
The following message pops up whenever I try to access it.

"Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked"

I have not changed any settings that I ama aware of and dont know why this is happening. I used to be able to access this site. Everyone else I knowe can access this site.

If anyone could help could you give me a step by step guide as to how to get rid of this problem

Many thanks guys :tazz:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try emptying your cache and ensuring you have cookies turned on. Might add this site to your trusted zone too. All done in IE's Tools>Internet Options.

1) On the General tab, click Clear history button.
2) To add to Trusted Zone, select Security tab and click Trusted Zone icon. Click Sites button and add URL into window. Click Add and OK.
3) Click Privacy tab and then click Advance button. Unselect "Override automatic cookie handling" if selected. Click OK button and then click Edit button on same tab. Enter URL of site into window and click Allow and the OK buttons.

Try this and see. You also may have some issues with your settings in the firewall and Norton if running.

Ron

scribs

scribs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Ron

I am using Firefox - dont use Internet explorer any more
anay ideas as to how I might fix it

Cheers
Scribs

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you follow the instuctions but with Firefox? Internet Options is under Tools>Options and setup under Privacy and Web Features icons on left mostly in Firefox.

I'll be getting back to you on this if it doesn't work as I got the same message exactly on a site I visited! Haven't worked out the issues in Firefox yet. If you beat me to it, please post back with your solution. :tazz:

Ron

Scouty

Scouty

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey Ron,

I ran into the same problem. Still reinstalling my software (remember - Windows ME crashed?)

I also use Firefox (love it) and I never had a problem before until now. Same exact error message as Scribs.

I'm working on figuring this out too. Hope somebody has a solution.

Maryanne. :tazz:

Scouty

Scouty

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay. Found this on Mozilla Firefox regarding this issue.

The status says "resolved" but I lost my secret decoder ring and don't know what the heck they did to fix it :tazz:

https://bugzilla.moz...?buglist=153888

Here is the link to their forum page; http://forums.mozillazine.org/

Maybe someone that still HAS their secret decoder ring can let Scribs and myself know how to fix this!

Scouty

Scouty

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Tried accessing the same site and link (coupon print) in Firefox at work.

Got the same message. "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked"

Now I'm wondering if this could be a site problem and not a Firefox problem.

Usually don't get the same errors at home and then at work. It works at one place and not the other.

Really confused now.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
For related links concerning URL blocking in Firefox :

1) Limit Firefox to specific web addresses
2) Limiting Web Access

For more Tips and Tricks for Firefox :

Firefox : Tips and Tricks

No decoder ring needed.

Ron

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
What is the problem url? Also, to your knowledge, are only having a problem with this (1) url?

Press2Esc :tazz:

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Anyone having Firefox problems accessing websites: My last 3 builds (using 1.3 now), firefox has it's own pop-up blocker, and mine was blocking some website because the pages had urls to one pop-up window or another. My firefox has been notorious for "blocking things for me". Hades will freeze over before my software does my thinking for me. Anyway, I uninstalled any .jar (or modified .xpi) files that were designed to filter anything--like adblock, which was the culprit last time, when I had whatever they call that extension that shows you a thumbnail of the url you are hovering over...I forget. Once, I had successfully installed a couple of .jar files from an earlier (incompatible) version of FF. Didn't know it for weeks! So, try all that...and then some!

Good luck.

Scouty

Scouty

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sixpack might be right.

I just tried the site with IE and it worked. There is no pop-up blocker that I know of here at work for IE. Firefox does block pop-ups (by choice). Of course this didn't work at home with IE for some reason.

I also think it's a redirection problem for some minor software downloads. In order to print coupons, I had to do a download. Going to try to go directly to the download site to manually install the required software to print future coupons on my home computer.

Glad I have the "work" option to do these things. Maybe if others are having the same problems they can use another computer at a different site to write down the links, downloads, etc. and then try to add these on the computer that is giving that error message.

Will update/report if this worked later tonight or tomorrow.

Scouty

Scouty

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
It worked. (adjusted my Firefox at work)

Once you find out the actual site name that it is trying to redirect to (not necessarily the site you are on) you should get the "allowed sites" box pop-up from Firefox to ask if you allow that site.

Now I didn't get that allowed site option from the first place I got the redirect message, but went to another similiar site for the same type of thing and did get it.

Or manually add in Firefox: Tools, Web Features, Allowed Sites...type in the site. But that only works if you KNOW the site it is trying to redirect you to. Example - should already have: addons.mozilla.org

Hope this helps.

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I had a devil of a time with my zonealarm, I grabbed one of those "whois" apps. What worked for me, was to copy/paste the redirect url into my "whois" and it told me more than enough info to get my zonealarm to stop blocking things too. It seems like whatever application I get, I've always got to "adjust it"somehow, before it works like I want it to.