"The document is specific to the wireless problem in windows xp where the user loses the wireless connection after running windows update ( and not installing the service pack ) in his machine.
This happens because of the installation of a recommended hotfix (815485) from microsoft from XP. This hotfix is a part of an optional but recommended windows xp update which adds WPA support to the wireless card drivers."
i dont have this update so im pretty sure i installed sp2 but i still have this issue
"After the wireless card is enabled and connected to the AP it will not get an IP address nor will it be able to ping to the AP. The wireless connection properties will say that it is connected with good signal strength, it will also send packets but not receive any packets back."
it says i should uninstall the update.. but as iv said i dont have the update so the next thing it says to do is enable encryption
"The user can enable encryption in his wireless network which will also fix this problem. To enable encryption the user first needs to enable encryption in his AP and follow these steps to enable encryption in the wireless card.
1. Right click on the network icon in the system tray and click on " View available networks",
2. Select the network name or SSID of the AP,
3. Enter the encryption key in the fields " Network key " and " Confirm network key",
4. Uncheck the checkbox which says "Enable 802.1X authentication for this network" and click on connect."
but i get lost at number 3 b/c i have no idea where to enter these things.
another way it says you can do this is
"1. Right click on the network icon in the system tray and click on " View available networks",
2. Click on the button advanced.
3. It will take the user to the "Wireless networks" tab of the wireless area connection properties window.
4. Select the entry in the preferred network and delete it,
5. Select the entry in the "Available networks " and click on configure,
6, In the configuration window select the Data encryption as WEP and Network authentication as Open system,
7. Click on the TAB Authentication and uncheck the check box which says "Enable 802.1x authentication"
well i tried doing most of this but we dont use WEP so that doesnt really apply i dont think. and it is set as open and i unchecked the box it says.
Well none of this helped me. So I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this problem and could help me. I have some cheap Amtel wireless card that my mom bought for herself.. but after my dad kept losing signal while trying to watch porn and getting pissed off he made me use it. So now im stuck with the curse of windows and wifi
if there is any more info you need ill try to help ya out. but i dont know much about wireless stuff.
thanks for reading
Edited by AMD 2400, 25 December 2006 - 02:27 AM.