Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless issues (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks to me as if the problem is with your router. Either it is misconfigured or faulty. Looks as if there are problems with auto DNS or with the traffic direction of the firewall. I would try to reset the router to the manufacturer's defaults. Usually there is a little hole at the back of the router into ehich you insert the tip of a pen for 30 seconds at least and press while the router is powered on. If you have a user manual use it. After resetting you will have to set up again your user name and password.

If this doesn't help try to borrow a router from a friend, configure it and see what happens.

By the way, if you are not sure whether sp2 is installed or not enter control panel > system. In this page you will see what version of os is installed (sx or xp sp1 or xp sp2)

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I don't think its the router because we have had this problem ever since we got the card when we had the default settings. Another reason I don't think it's the router is because my cousin is having the same problem. He has a different router, a different wireless card, and different ISP than I do. The only thing we have in common besides this problem is that we are both using xp home.
There is no one I know that can lend me another router either.

Thanks for trying though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have sp2 installed plus all the other (over 60) windows updates?

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes i do have sp2
i think there is like 1 update i can do
i turned off auto update b/c i would install an update restart... and when i get back into windows it would say another is ready, it got irritating.

im installing a couple updates now

Edited by AMD 2400, 22 December 2006 - 01:12 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think you would be better off downloading and installing [/u] the updates. Some of the updates are corrections to faults were found in previous updates.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Where do i find these updates?

edit... read it wrong forget i said that

i just need to restart my computer now

Edited by AMD 2400, 22 December 2006 - 01:19 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
start > windows update. You will connect to microsoft and the computer will look for missing updates. Let it do this automatically by entering control panel > automatic updates. Check the automatic (recommended) option. Confirm

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
By the way, what firewall are you using. If it's anything other then windows' try to disable it.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
microsoft can go F themself
i did the stupid updates
restarted my computer
and all the sudden explorer crashes then my comp freezes
restart again.. same thing happens
so i boot to safe mode and rollback to today before the updates and all works fine

im using zone alarm and im not disabling it
i dont trust the windows firewall

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do as you wish. We are trying to pinpoint a problem and I suggested that you disable the other firewall temporarilly. I used zone alarms for a long time and removed it when it started giving me lots of communication problems with my wireless router. Microsoft's is more then enough for the vast majority of users, including myself.

Regarding the updates, they are very important and I would try to download them, disconnect fom the internate, disable (temporarilly) antivirus/spyware etc. and only then install them, restart and try the computer. If not successful then restore again.

I doubt that the problem is related to xp home edition. Had it been it would have occured in tens, if not hundreds, of millions of computers and would be rectified a long time ago (by one of those updates).

I still would reset the router. It's a most basic action taken when analyzing communications problems.

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i may try disabling zone alarm for a bit to see what happens

as for those important updates i dont think so
my mom's computer with xp home doesnt even have sp2 and she doesnt do updates
she hasnt had any worms or viruses
nothing wrong with her computer and its connected to the internet 24/7

ill try resetting the router and ill disable zone alarm for the time being

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What kind of card is this?

Usually cards can be the problem of lock ups and such.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
its a
AMTEL USB FastVNET (AR)
thats what it says in my wireless thing

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff