Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello all.

I currently have a Radeon 9800 Pro running on an AsusP4P800se motherboard. This motherboard doesn't support PCI-express and only has the typical AGP.

Now, I have a 3.2ghz processor and 1 gb of ram and a soundblaster audigy 2 soundcard.

I bought Rainbow Six Vegas today thinking it wouldn't be any problem, but boy was I wrong. It simply locks up.

I am on a tight budget and don't want to spend more then 250, would like to stay under 200 if possible. Can anyone recommend something to me that is solid, can run Rainbow Six Vegas (requires Shader 3.0 enabled card and DX9.0c compliant) and will work with my motherboard? I would really rather not have to upgrade my motherboard yet. Also, I play Oblivion as well.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can give me. I have been browsing the web and haven't found much at all.

(This is about all I have found so far: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143046 )

Edited by Exdeus, 18 December 2006 - 10:12 PM.

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Just wanted to point out that if you get that card you should first make sure your power supply is up to snuff so you don't get surprised after the fact.

The requirements say "A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)"

Since you say budget is a factor I thought I would make sure you saw that.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Just wanted to point out that if you get that card you should first make sure your power supply is up to snuff so you don't get surprised after the fact.

The requirements say "A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)"

Since you say budget is a factor I thought I would make sure you saw that.

Yeah, I have enough power to cover it. I will double check, but I think its something like 600 or 800. Ill look.

However, I am now having a major problem with it anyways. I posted it in the hardware forum above this one.