Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

stupid long beep of doom

• Please log in to reply

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
howdy. I have a standard msi board nothing special. I keep gertting a long beep ( no pauses in betweeen) Tried re seating the video card ( worked for my other machine) but no difference. Video board is working fine ( fan is working well on it too) Its a geforce 5500. U can run the machine fine aside from the long beep. Memory is reading fine as well. I took it out and reseated and cleaned it as well. Any suggestions? The beeping hurts my head plz assist . Thanks. Is there a way to temporarily disable video board alarm? Perhaps the video board is interfering with the onboard video card. I doubt it but just an idea. The computer does work fine tho. Just the beep. Thanks. :whistling:

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi elite destiny. look at this

http://www.geekstogo...es-t106845.html

http://www.pchelpfor...codes-bios.html

Edited by Dwight, 19 December 2006 - 09:13 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you saying that this is a permanent beep? like...it beeps as long as the computer is on? or is there one long beep that stops? how long is the beep? when does it stop? does it beep WITHOUT the video card installed?

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
its a never ending beep. It doesnt stop and then repeat and just stays on. Usually that indicates video but that doesnt seem to be the problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so even after you get into windows....still a beep?

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ya i can run the system fine play games run word whatever and nothing is hindered. And those links didnt have the code for one long beep with no interval in between

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It may be a problem with the system speaker. Check the speaker wiring, connection to the motherboard, the speaker itself.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
unfortunately the speaker system isnt even attached. but thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
he's actually talking about the system speaker that's attached directly to the motherboard...not your speakers that you listen to music with..

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I once saw an internal case speaker where to much solder was used {from where the wire connects to the speaker), the solder had run down and cooled, leaving a solid line of solder and grounding directly to the case. So it is definitely worth checking your internal speaker to be sure its cleanly installed by the case manufacturer.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
seems intact. Tried tinkering with it a bit with no change.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The problem has to be the system speaker, yea, the little speaker that connects directly to the moterboard. Examine it carefully...the connections to the speaker itself, the wires, and to the motherboard. Once you have identified the motherboard connection, remove the wires from those pins. No doubt the constant beep will go away. You can then troubleshoot and fix the system speaker. It is a simple two wire connection from the motherboard to the speaker.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i have already disconnected the two pin system speaker connection. same effect.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok now the problem has changed direction now i am getting a video board error ( it sounds like 2 long beeps then two single short beeps, but the closest is 1 long and 2 short, although the sound does last still and i can still use the vid board)

Edited by elite_destiny, 23 December 2006 - 10:23 AM.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok correction. its thrree long beeps than two short.
what the heck? no idea what it is.