Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Adapters not installing in XP

• Please log in to reply

SParisi

SParisi

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've been using my XP Home PC hardwired CAT5 with no issues for years. I'm moving it and need to install a wireless adapter. I've tried both a PCI generic card and a Trendnet USB adapter and neither of them will install. When plugged in, the USB gives me an unrecognized device...pretty much the same with the PCI.

I installed the wireless utility for both and neither program will run...install but not run. I've tried taking out the standard ethernet card and installing each wireless individually. I've even installed a fresh copy of XP Pro. My first thought was a hardware failure, but my ethernet card and other USB equipment installed fine.

Stumped, any ideas!

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
install the PCI wireless card then turn the computer on, make sure you log in as an administrator account. right click on my computer and choose manage, then device manager...do you see the wireless card in the device list? do you see any ? or ! in the list? if you find your wireless card in the list and it's got a ?, insert the disk that came with it into the computer...right click on the wireless card in device manager and choose update driver...when it asks tell it to search the cd for the driver..
does it install?

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, did that. The PCI card in device manager is listed as "Ethernet" with a "?"...I've tried installing the driver and pointing it to the disk and still won't install.

Thanks for the reply!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the cd that came with either device just install the wireless utility? does it not have an option for the driver install?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also what's the actual make and model on the pci card? and usb device

Edited by dsenette, 19 December 2006 - 09:20 AM.

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The USB is a Trendnet TEW-424UB and the PCI is a Cameo WLG-1203

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.trendnet....o/TEW-424UB.htm drivers for the usb....you'll have to pick your version based on the picture

http://www.cameo.com.....less card.htm
for the pci...it's the second group down (WLG-1101/1203 ) you'll have to pick between the release versions...as i'm not sure which of the two you have..

these should install the actual hardware drivers for the devices....

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, but I already tried that...wouldn't post without doing the basics first. :-) Even if I do a manual install and point XP right to the folder and driver it tells me that there's nothing in the folder for my hardware. I was hoping that there was a silly setting in XP (not that Mr. Gates would do that) that wasn't allowing the wireless card....I guess I'll just have to assume there's a hardware issue with the PC...just strange that all the other equipment installed fine. :-(

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Thanks, but I already tried that...wouldn't post without doing the basics first

...just gotta be sure :whistling:

i hate funky hardware screwups like this..i'd be inclined to point at an incompatibility issue..but both devices should work

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Chipset drivers? If they're not up to date enough, Windows won't be able to recognize many varieties of new hardware.

Advertisements

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Is that something I can update? If so, how?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the chipset drivers you'll need to go to the manufacturer of y our motherboard's website. they should have a section for chipset drivers. i can help locate them if you give me the specs of the board

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and the only info I have, without opening the case of course, is an Intel 850...do you need additional info?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well that sucks.....the dell site doesn't have any chipset drivers for that system....you might try their chat system http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=dhs ... you'll need your service tag from the machine....
or we can try to get one directly from the motherboard company

Download Everest from this link :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Run everest then click on the Report menu. Select Report Wizard, then select Hardware Related pages. Create the report as a TXT file (if this option is available). When its finished compiling, save the report & then attach it with your next post.:

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah, Dell support does suck...although I may be spoiled by my IBM Thinkpad :-) Attached is the report, thanks for your assistance!

Attached Files