Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM running XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you restart, tap the F1 or Delete key (usually) to "Enter Setup"...this being the BIOS setup.

Depending on your BIOS version, it may be under the headings "Advanced CMOS", "Boot", "Boot Priority", or something similar. Be sure to save the settings when you exit BIOS...usually accomplished by pressing F10, but look for a menu item for this, as well.

Advertisements

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Okay...I reset to your instructions and re-started OK. Is ther anything elase I should do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would probably be a good idea to back up that music...external hard drives are perfect for that and will make the music a little more portable. Plus...if you have a partition corruption or HDD failure, you can just reinstall knowing your files are tucked away on the external.

The problem you just had may have been a precursor of a HDD failure.

Reboot one more time and let me know how it does, but I think you're probably good to go.