Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection problem in Ubuntu 6.10

• Please log in to reply

Pappo

Pappo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to get a Buffalo wireless card (Broadcomm bcm4306 type) to connect to my Access Point.
I installed Ubuntu 6.10.
I installed ndiswrapper and was able to see my card and activate it.
The KDE network manager allowed me to set my essid and wep key.
When I tell it to apply, it goes off and reload and activates / enables my card, but when I run "ifconfig eth0" it shows there is a card, but no IP has been assigned to it.
I used "iwlist eth0 scan" command and it shows my home router.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Make sure your wireless.conf is set to dhcp. Other than that, try it on the network with no WEP, or try assigning a static. Wireless + linux = headache, sometimes.

Pappo

Pappo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got it working, but I had to use Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu.
I couldn't get wifi-radar to load because it needed python-gtk2 and then the dependencies just kept adding on in Kubuntu.
So I just loaded Ubuntu 6.10, installed the ndiswrapper files:
ndiswrapper-common version 1.18
ndiswrapper-utils version 1.1-5
ndiswrapper-utils-1.1 version 1.1-5
ndiswrapper-utils-1.8

Then I followed the Dapper wireless networking Howto and used ndiswrapper to load my firmware, modprobe to add ndiswrapper to my kernel.
Then, since Gnome desktop was part of Ubuntu, I was able to load and run wifi-radar and 'VOILA' I was connected.
In fact I am sending this reply to you from Firefox, running on my new Ubuntu installation.
Linux life is good....