Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey guys,

Well my computer was running fine than we had a power outage and my power went out all day. I got home at night and than turned my comp on i left it on and it was off te next morning. Now it only starts to boot up it gets to the video screen sometimes and other times it gets to the startup windows screen. I dont know what the problem is the cpu isnt to hot i have checked that and the mothe board looks fine. I have also checked othe things and dont seem to be able to figure it out. I have no idea what to do im running windows xp on a asus mother board an amd athlon xp 2800 Its not a hd problem cause it wont even start up. What it does is starts up than just shuts off but the powe ligt still stays on so its bviously got power. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Lexy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is usually either the power supply or the motherboard has gone bad. Did you have your computer hooked up to a surge protector? Many times when main power to the house has gone out and when it comes back on there will be a power surge that can damage electrical equipment. I've had this happen many times to me and have disassembled 5 computers into parts because of it. I now will not run any computer except thru a UPS.

SRX660

ragtoy

ragtoy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
2 thing to kill your computer. one is a power surge, so we all buy surge protectors and beleive we're safe. suprise the 2nd thing is a sudden lost of power causing your HDD to crash.I highly recommend a backup PSU that shutsyour system safely if you suffer a sudden power loss. Google it. As far as your current Hdd plug it into some other system as a slave and try to recup your data that way then rebuild windows onto it anew. maybe someone can tell you some thing better but thats your roll of the dice. I consider myself only a novice. good luck and happy holidays :whistling:

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

This is usually either the power supply or the motherboard has gone bad. Did you have your computer hooked up to a surge protector? Many times when main power to the house has gone out and when it comes back on there will be a power surge that can damage electrical equipment. I've had this happen many times to me and have disassembled 5 computers into parts because of it. I now will not run any computer except thru a UPS.

SRX660

Well the mother board power light is still on and it does start but shuts off at various points. Would it sart up at all if thr motherboard was bad?. I rarely have a power problem but i think the surge protector is a smart idea any other suggestions of what it might be.

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

2 thing to kill your computer. one is a power surge, so we all buy surge protectors and beleive we're safe. suprise the 2nd thing is a sudden lost of power causing your HDD to crash.I highly recommend a backup PSU that shutsyour system safely if you suffer a sudden power loss. Google it. As far as your current Hdd plug it into some other system as a slave and try to recup your data that way then rebuild windows onto it anew. maybe someone can tell you some thing better but thats your roll of the dice. I consider myself only a novice. good luck and happy holidays :whistling:

The problem isnt my hardrive it works fine it doesnt say anything about the hd when i boot up. The problem is it decides when to shut itself off sometimes it makes it to the video card screen sometimes it makes it to the startup windows screen but thanx anyways.

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
So anyone have any ideas yet i changed the ram and that didnt work i also changed power supply no go.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
You said that you'r motherboard looks ok take a good look at ll the capasitors little "barrel" if any of them r pointed or show leaking.

Well the mother board power light is still on and it does start but shuts off at various points. Would it sart up at all if thr motherboard was bad?. I rarely have a power problem but i think the surge protector is a smart idea any other suggestions of what it might be.

It does not mean the the hd is bad. but if the surge was when the hd was active then it could have written bad data.

If u want another idea. try and disconnect all cards just leave the essentials and try 2 boot. try also to load last known good definitions. :whistling:

good luck