Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Case shocks me when PSU switch is on


  • Please log in to reply

#1
r2zoo

r2zoo

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Today, I brought my school pc home for the holidays, only to get home, plug it in, turn the PSU back on and now everytime I touch the case it gives me an electrical shock. Now, when I was taking the cords of my my pc to take it home, my hand slipped on removing the power cable from the socket(PSU switch was off) and I accidently shocked my self on the cord. After a few minutes to lets the tingling disapate(not my fist time shocking myself, first on a computet though) I continued to remove the cord and put in a box to take home.

Now, it never had this issue before, So im thinking I blew my power supply, and if I did, thats going to screw me over, as I have no money and the computer needs to be operational by Janaury 3rd. Ive tried two different power cords, a standard 3 prong socket and a power strip plugged into a 3 prong socket, the plug I tried this on already had a computer hooked up to it before, and I never had this issue with it.

So, basically I beleive its my power supply(the 350w that came with my Antec case) that blew and is causing me trouble. So can anyone recommend a good power supply company that makes affordable supplies? Im extremly tight on cash, having just spent it all on a new game system, so im gonna have to beg my parents for a new supply, or resort to a cruddy 235w my electronic teacher has lying around.

Any response would be greatly apprciated! Id love to do some gaming on this thing before my break is up!

Note:This is all on the American volatages and power setups
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Snippy

Snippy

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817170012

Heres a good one thats very cheap.
  • 0

#3
Kemasa

Kemasa

    Nobody

  • Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The first thing to check is to make sure that the outlet that you are using is correctly wired. It is possible that is where the problem is. You can buy a AC outlet tester for a few dollars, like at Harbor Freight or any hardware store, like Home Depot. You can also use a multimeter to ensure that you have power from the hot line to neutral and also to ground, but not from neutral to ground. Neutral is the longer one.

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see that the AC line is correct, at least to some degree. You can check to make sure that the case is grounded to the AC plug's ground.

The only way that you could have that problem with the computer is if the power supply was mis-wired, in which case you would have that problem in other places.

I am not sure of how you could have shocked yourself on the cord when you were taking it off. That might indicate that the power supply is miswired.
  • 0

#4
r2zoo

r2zoo

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I shocked my self by touching the prongs coming out of the live power strip(stupidity on my part)

however I talked to a friend and removed the powersupply from the case, an hooked it up to just the mother board, got no shock from the case or the supply itself.
  • 0

#5
wannabe1

wannabe1

    Tech Staff

  • Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you build this machine yourself or is it "store bought"?
  • 0

#6
Kemasa

Kemasa

    Nobody

  • Technician
  • 1,575 posts
From a known good outlet, check to see if there is voltage from the case to the ground wire of an AC plug.

I had an outlet in my house which was mis-wired, rather annoying and dangerous.
  • 0

#7
r2zoo

r2zoo

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It was built in a my computer class(im a highschool senior), my teacher who is a certified electrical enginner double checked everyones wiring and mounting etc.

On a good note, after replacing the power supply(after taking it out to test) im not having anymore issues, boots fine runs fine etc, a strange issue that i have no idea why it occured, thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP