Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Case shocks me when PSU switch is on

• Please log in to reply

r2zoo

r2zoo

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Today, I brought my school pc home for the holidays, only to get home, plug it in, turn the PSU back on and now everytime I touch the case it gives me an electrical shock. Now, when I was taking the cords of my my pc to take it home, my hand slipped on removing the power cable from the socket(PSU switch was off) and I accidently shocked my self on the cord. After a few minutes to lets the tingling disapate(not my fist time shocking myself, first on a computet though) I continued to remove the cord and put in a box to take home.

Now, it never had this issue before, So im thinking I blew my power supply, and if I did, thats going to screw me over, as I have no money and the computer needs to be operational by Janaury 3rd. Ive tried two different power cords, a standard 3 prong socket and a power strip plugged into a 3 prong socket, the plug I tried this on already had a computer hooked up to it before, and I never had this issue with it.

So, basically I beleive its my power supply(the 350w that came with my Antec case) that blew and is causing me trouble. So can anyone recommend a good power supply company that makes affordable supplies? Im extremly tight on cash, having just spent it all on a new game system, so im gonna have to beg my parents for a new supply, or resort to a cruddy 235w my electronic teacher has lying around.

Any response would be greatly apprciated! Id love to do some gaming on this thing before my break is up!

Note:This is all on the American volatages and power setups

Advertisements

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817170012

Heres a good one thats very cheap.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The first thing to check is to make sure that the outlet that you are using is correctly wired. It is possible that is where the problem is. You can buy a AC outlet tester for a few dollars, like at Harbor Freight or any hardware store, like Home Depot. You can also use a multimeter to ensure that you have power from the hot line to neutral and also to ground, but not from neutral to ground. Neutral is the longer one.

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see that the AC line is correct, at least to some degree. You can check to make sure that the case is grounded to the AC plug's ground.

The only way that you could have that problem with the computer is if the power supply was mis-wired, in which case you would have that problem in other places.

I am not sure of how you could have shocked yourself on the cord when you were taking it off. That might indicate that the power supply is miswired.

r2zoo

r2zoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I shocked my self by touching the prongs coming out of the live power strip(stupidity on my part)

however I talked to a friend and removed the powersupply from the case, an hooked it up to just the mother board, got no shock from the case or the supply itself.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you build this machine yourself or is it "store bought"?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
From a known good outlet, check to see if there is voltage from the case to the ground wire of an AC plug.

I had an outlet in my house which was mis-wired, rather annoying and dangerous.

r2zoo

r2zoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It was built in a my computer class(im a highschool senior), my teacher who is a certified electrical enginner double checked everyones wiring and mounting etc.

On a good note, after replacing the power supply(after taking it out to test) im not having anymore issues, boots fine runs fine etc, a strange issue that i have no idea why it occured, thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.