Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do u remove windows 2000 server?

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hi, my operating system currently is windows XP, and i have 2 OS's on my computer, XP and 2000 server edition. We never use windows 2000 anymore, so im wondering how do u remove it, and also does having 2 OS's take up hard drive space?

Advertisements

trid2bnrml

trid2bnrml

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
try browsing this link, there's a pretty good "how-to" there you may be able to use. Be careful. or be prepared to reinstall all over again---Good luck!

http://www.petri.co...._windows_xp.htm

trid2bnrml

trid2bnrml

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh, and did I mention that you could lose everything else on your hard drive if you don't pull this off? Having two OS of course takes up more space, but then, the two are supposed to be on separate partitions. If you have both on the same partition (big headache and a hard blunder to pull off in the first place, thanks to windows safeguards) but in their own folders, as I have mistakenly done, you should probably keep reading until you find a similar situation and use that info.

again, be careful or be prepared to reinstall all over again---

Edited by trid2bnrml, 20 December 2006 - 08:02 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shinakuma9...

Let's look into this a little further. Open My Computer and double click on "Local Disk C:". What Windows Folders do you see? Is there one named Windows and one named WINNT or something similar to that?

From Windows XP, Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and Paste it here for me.

wannabe1

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Yes, there is a WINNT folder

heres the contents from the file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are there any files you need to move from the 2000 installation to the XP installation?

This will go quickly when we start and there will be no going back. If there is nothing in the 2000 installation you want to keep, do the following.

From Windows XP, open My Computer and double click on the "Local Disk C:" icon. Right click on the WINNT folder and choose "Delete"...Accept the deletion.

Open the boot.ini file as you did earlier. Then copy the red text below...right click in the boot.ini file window and choose "Select All"...right click again and choose "Paste". This will replace your current boot.ini file with the one I modified for you. Click "File" on the notepad toolbar and choose "Save".

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Close all open windows and reboot.

Edited by wannabe1, 20 December 2006 - 03:04 PM.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
well now it seems that 2000 is removed properly, thanks for the help.
Anything else i have to do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If everything's running ok....you're good to go! :whistling:

Happy Holidays!

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip