Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd/cd-rw

• Please log in to reply

ronport

ronport

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-S207 laptop with dvd/cd-rom SD-R2102. It reads data and plays music but will not write to or format a disk. Since I had a lot of problems with Roxio/Acraptec, (wouldn't do anything) I use Nero 6. When I try to write or burn, the disk is always blank afterwards. When I try to format I get an error that says "Could not format error writing to disk". The device manager tells me the device has no problems. I've gone to services and placed IMAPI CD burning on automatic and it is started. A while back I tried to watch a DVD Movie. It started fine but then got choppy, crashed and wouldn't work at all after that. Haven't tried that recently. And yes I've cleaned the lens and am using good clean cd/rw disks.

Got any Ideas?

All contributions are gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Ron :whistling:

Advertisements

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
right click on the drive and goto the recording tab, chk if recording is enabled or not,
if this does not resolve the problem, goto registry and do the following :
Click the plus sign (+) next to the following items in the list:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet (or the current control set with lowest number if that is all that is listed)
Control
Class
Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.
Select UpperFilter in the right window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.
Select LowerFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.
Delete all Upperfilter and Lowerfilter from 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key.

I hope this will resolve the problem. :whistling:

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
make sure the Simulation box is not tick in nero

its on the burn tab

ronport

ronport

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Achilles,
I did what you said about uppers and lowers. No results.
Peter99,
I tried all that stuff on your post about working in the registry. Couldn't restore the key and then couldn't access the cd at all. Had to format. In your other reply I can't find a compilation screen in Nero 6. But I did use the nero info tool and it shows the dvd-rom to be on a secondary ide channel behind toshiba mk2028gap.
Also something keeps stopping Imapi in services so I put that on auto and started it back up. The drive is now locked and I can't eject the blank cd. Still trudging along.
It's a puzzle! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you keep tapping the eject button as the PC is booting / rebooting, or use a paperclip in the tiny opening which is on the panel of the CD Drive

Do you still have Roxio installed

ronport

ronport

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yo Keith,
thanks for the reply. I put the upper and lower limits back into the registry and rebooted. Problem solved with lock up. But still cant burn a cd. Good learning how to export and import from the reg though. Here's a glitch with yer site or my brane..braine? Anyway I signed up for notifications of new XP questions. Started getting about forty a day so I went back and modified the settings but my email box is gettin fatter and fatter. How can I stop this?
Oh yeah. I was the something that was turning off the IMAPI.
Ron

Edited by ronport, 21 December 2006 - 04:13 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click my controls then view topics and also view forums, you can unsubscribe there

It may be sending ones regarded as subscribed to

ronport

ronport

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been looking in my control panel for an hour now and can't see a trace of a "view subscriptions" link. When I click on manage subscribed files under download manager it says it's off line. Also not subscribed to anything on administrator board in email settings. Please remove me as this is becoming a comedy of errors.

Ron

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have sent the details by PM

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might also want to try uninstalling INCD...and Nero...then reinstall Nero... WITHOUT installing INCD...try a test burn...
no joy...
try going the the device manager and uninstalling the CD drive....reboot and let windows " find " the new hardware...xp will have some generic drivers that might work...you can also go to the manufactures website and get any new drivers and / or firmware for your particular make and model #...I recommend you get ALL the drivers and keep them as you may at some later date want / need them...use a different computer to get and burn them if necessary....