Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

numbering pictures in a batch

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
OK...I have been slowly adding and organizing family pictures in folders by year in the My Pictures section of my computer. I have been able to google some information about re-naming files in a batch, but nothing about assigning numbers to a batch of pictures at once.
My goal is to have them numbered so that they appear in order, and the only way I can figure out how to do that is to assign a number to them in each folder. When I add more pictures to a folder, they always appear at the beginning of the folder, and then you have to arrange them all over again

I have been scanning old slides and saving them in My Pictures. If I scan maybe 30 pictures, sent them to the correct folder, how can I then get them in the order I want them to appear in the file? As it is now, I have to renumber them each time to keep the pictures I want to show at the begninning to stay there.

I'm learning more by trial and error about organizing pictures, but I have some files that are all over the place in order, but to click on each separate picture an reassigning a number to it is very tedious. There has to be an easier way. :whistling:

Any hints?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I needed a good batch renaming utility a while back, after a rather exaustive search of Google, came up with this.

It's called Bulk Renamer, and has about every feature that a renamer like you could possibly want. Keep calm and learn to use the program correctly, and you'll be renaming like a pro in no time!

Bulk Renaming Utility : http://www.tucows.co...t/294131_110965

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I found a useful hint that told me to copy the folder to a new folder, then do control/letter A. Right click the first file, rename it followed by a number, followed by a space.jpeg. Worked great.
Now they are all numbered and in the order I want them viewed, but when I copy them to a CD-R to view on the TV, they don't appear in order. :whistling:
I am trying to make copies for friends for Christmas, and want them right. How can I get them to be viewed in the order I want?