Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

everything opens with paint

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Like in the picture below?
RC_001.jpg

Advertisements

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Like in the picture below?
RC_001.jpg

no its the first screen you get too,the welcome to microsoft xp..what do you want to do next screen,giving me 4 choices of what to do....when i opt to press the install windows xp tab or any of the 4 choices for that matter i get the cant open with paint problem...i have run the xp cd before with keith but to get to the screen your showing i had to keep tapping f2 while starting the comp....should i do that??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...then you get to that screen, press Enter

Let me know what we have...screen by screen. I'll bet we can get a repair on this one, yet.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Yes...then you get to that screen, press Enter

Let me know what we have...screen by screen. I'll bet we can get a repair on this one, yet.

so when i get that screen up you want me to press enter to setup windows xp??? what should i do then because i wont have access to this site for your advice??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you run a repair installation with Keith? That's what I'm after here. If you have done a repair installation and it failed, let me know and we'll try a parallel installation instead.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Have you run a repair installation with Keith? That's what I'm after here. If you have done a repair installation and it failed, let me know and we'll try a parallel installation instead.

yes i have run the repair installation and it failed to work...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try a parallel installation and see how the machine behaves.

Boot to the cd...we'll start just like we're doing a Repair install.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter

Accept the Licensing Agreement, press F8

Your current installation will be located. With it selected, press Esc

Select the same partition as your current installation (usually C:) and press Enter

It will ask you to confirm that you know what you're doing, press C

You will then be given formatting information. Use the arrow keys to select the last option "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" and press Enter

Windows will tell you the directory already exists and give you the option to select another. Press Esc

Now you can rename the directory you want to install to. Type a 0 (zero) so the directory name will be WINDOWS0 and press Enter

Setup should begin to install Windows. When it reboots, do NOT boot to the cd...let it boot to the HDD, but leave the cd in the drive.

Windows will install on the machine to the new directory.

Let me know how the machine runs once this completes. Keep in mind that prgrams that haven't been installed to this installation will not run. Try some of the applications that would previously only open with Paint. regedit, control panel, etc...

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Select the same partition as your current installation (usually C:) and press Enter

You will then be given formatting information. Use the arrow keys to select the last option "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" and press Enter

Windows will tell you the directory already exists and give you the option to select another. Press Esc

Now you can rename the directory you want to install to. Type a 0 (zero) so the directory name will be WINDOWS0 and press Enter

Setup should begin to install Windows. When it reboots, do NOT boot to the cd...let it boot to the HDD, but leave the cd in the drive.

Let me know how the machine runs once this completes. Keep in mind that prgrams that haven't been installed to this installation will not run. Try some of the applications that would previously only open with Paint. regedit, control panel, etc...

ok im going in....wish me luck.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

fantastic...everything seems to work so far....how do i get service pack 2 and any other programs that i had on the other version onto this one??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool!

Now the rub. SP2 will have to be reinstalled as will the programs you had installed on the other installation.

The good news is that all your data is still on the machine and is recoverable...that is, it can be moved from the old install to the new.

At this point, you have one last decision to make. Do you want to keep this new install and move in to it, or continue to try and figure out where the problem is with the old?

This has got to be one of (if not the) oddest problem I've seen here to date. All of the .exe associations we could check were correct...the one place I really needed to check won't open in paint... :whistling: This one's gonna bug me for a long time to come. :blink:

There is one other place we can check in the registry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cpl), but I really don't think that the value we find there will be incorrect.

My advice to you would be to move into the new installation and then we can remove the old one. If you have to download SP2 every time you reinstall, might I also suggest you download This Version and burn it to cd so you wont have to download it again in the future.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 December 2006 - 09:09 AM.

Advertisements

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Cool!

Now the rub. SP2 will have to be reinstalled as will the programs you had installed on the other installation.

The good news is that all your data is still on the machine and is recoverable...that is, it can be moved from the old install to the new.

At this point, you have one last decision to make. Do you want to keep this new install and move in to it, or continue to try and figure out where the problem is with the old?

This has got to be one of (if not the) oddest problem I've seen here to date. All of the .exe associations we could check were correct...the one place I really needed to check won't open in paint... :whistling: This one's gonna bug me for a long time to come. :blink:

There is one other place we can check in the registry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cpl), but I really don't think that the value we find there will be incorrect.

My advice to you would be to move into the new installation and then we can remove the old one. If you have to download SP2 every time you reinstall, might I also suggest you download This Version and burn it to cd so you wont have to download it again in the future.

hi...i really appreciate all your help and am so happy we got the problem sorted..i have allready decided to move into the new installation..i have downloaded sevice pack 2 from the internet allready aswell as avg anti spyware and soundmax audio driver...i have also installed norton anti virus...i have had plenty of updates from microsoft throughout the day to download....is there anything else i should be downloading that i havent thought of yet....the last thing i want is that malware to get in my system again.......when i done the full system scan with avg it took 1hr 20 mins and about 180,000 files which is alot longer than it used to take,would it be scanning both installations of xp?? i would eventually like to delete the old version....can you advise me on how that is done.....once again i would like to thank you for all your help through this tricky problem..MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your AV is scanning the old installation, yes. If there is nothing in the windows folder you need, we'll get rid of it. Do you have all your drivers installed? Everything running ok?

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click the "Edit" button. A Notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Once I have modified that, we'll get about removing the broken system directory.

A good firewall wouldn't hurt. ZoneAlarm is pretty good, as is Kerio. Windows Defender is also a good one to have on the machine...if you haven't got it already.

You are quite welcome for the help and you have a wonderful holiday, too! :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 24 December 2006 - 07:29 PM.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Your AV is scanning the old installation, yes. If there is nothing in the windows folder you need, we'll get rid of it. Do you have all your drivers installed? Everything running ok?

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click the "Edit" button. A Notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Once I have modified that, we'll get about removing the broken system directory.

A good firewall wouldn't hurt. ZoneAlarm is pretty good, as is Kerio. Windows Defender is also a good one to have on the machine...if you haven't got it already.

You are quite welcome for the help and you have a wonderful holiday, too! :whistling:

i dont want to sound stupid but im not too sure how to copy the notepad page and paste it here???? :blink:

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

i dont want to sound stupid but im not too sure how to copy the notepad page and paste it here???? :blink:

ive put on sp2,soundmax audio,avg antispy,norton antivirus,windows defender, what other drivers should i have?? i will need a dvd driver what do you recommend...whats the best windows media player??

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Can I see the link to the original topic.