Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

everything opens with paint

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
peterm...the original topic was through PM's with Keith...I'm afraid I no longer have them. :whistling: Keith might, though.

handyjay...In the boot.ini window, right click and choose "Select All"...right click again and choose "Copy". In a reply here, right click in the text box and choose "Paste".

As for drivers, do you still have yellow ! or ? displayed in Device Manager?

Windows Media player 10 has been my favorite to date. I'm using 11 now and am getting used to it, but I like the way the Library is handled in WMP10 better.

Advertisements

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

peterm...the original topic was through PM's with Keith...I'm afraid I no longer have them. :whistling: Keith might, though.

handyjay...In the boot.ini window, right click and choose "Select All"...right click again and choose "Copy". In a reply here, right click in the text box and choose "Paste".

As for drivers, do you still have yellow ! or ? displayed in Device Manager?

Windows Media player 10 has been my favorite to date. I'm using 11 now and am getting used to it, but I like the way the Library is handled in WMP10 better.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
YES I DO HAVE A YELLOW ? DISPLAYED IN DEVICE MANAGER,ITS UNDER OTHER DEVICES,WHEN CLICKED IT OPENS UP TO ETHERNET CONTROLLER AND VIDEO CONTROLLER(VGA COMPATIBLE) BOTH OF WHICH HAVE THE QUESTION MARK BUT ALSO AN EXCLAMATION MARK OVER THEM TOO.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like we have some drivers to round up. What is the make and model number of your machine?

To remove the old system directory:
Open Local Disk C:, right click on the WINDOWS folder...NOT WINDOWS0...and choose "Delete". Then open the boot.ini file as you did earlier. Right click in the notepad window and choose "Select All"...press the "Delete" key. This should clear the boot.ini file. Copy the red text below and Paste it into the boot.ini window. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini file and all other open windows. Reboot.

When the machine restarts, it should boot directly into the new installation and the old windows directory should be gone.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Looks like we have some drivers to round up. What is the make and model number of your machine?

Open Local Disk C:, right click on the WINDOWS folder...NOT WINDOWS0...and choose "Delete". Then open the boot.ini file as you did earlier. Right click in the notepad window and choose "Select All"...press the "Delete" key. This should clear the boot.ini file. Copy the red text below and Paste it into the boot.ini window. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini file and all other open windows. Reboot.

When the machine restarts, it should boot directly into the new installation and the old windows directory should be gone.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

it wont seem to let me delete it...i right click on the file then select delete,a seperate window appears as the windows file is deleting,this go's for about 1 min then the window dissapears but the windows file icon is still there and there is nothing in the recycle bin???? should i be opening the boot.ini file and deleting that while the other file is deleting?

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

it wont seem to let me delete it...i right click on the file then select delete,a seperate window appears as the windows file is deleting,this go's for about 1 min then the window dissapears but the windows file icon is still there and there is nothing in the recycle bin???? should i be opening the boot.ini file and deleting that while the other file is deleting?

its quite an old 2nd hand machine,a compaq,not upright..not too sure of the model number...is there a way of finding this out??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It shouldn't matter what order this is done in. There may still be something in the windows folder that the machine thinks is still in use. Or it may be too large for windows to delete in one bite. Try deleting some of the folders within the Windows folder and then try it again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the model number isn't listen on the front of the machine, it might be on a label on the rear of the machine.

If you can't find it, download Everest Home Edition, install it, and run it on the machine. What you are missing appears to be motherboard drivers, so see if Everest lists the name and model number of the motherboard.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

It shouldn't matter what order this is done in. There may still be something in the windows folder that the machine thinks is still in use. Or it may be too large for windows to delete in one bite. Try deleting some of the folders within the Windows folder and then try it again.

ive managed to delete all the files in the window folder apart from system 32... it starts to delete then a message comes up and says cannot delete flash 9b.ocx:access is denied,make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

ive managed to delete all the files in the window folder apart from system 32... it starts to delete then a message comes up and says cannot delete flash 9b.ocx:access is denied,make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

have now downloaded everest and the motherboard is compaq evo D310 the motherboard chipset is intel brookdale-G i845G

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

have now downloaded everest and the motherboard is compaq evo D310 the motherboard chipset is intel brookdale-G i845G

ive located the compaq driver download website but there are so many downloads im not too sure which ones to install on my comp....i did download the intervideo windvd player software but when i open that there is a yellow question mark on the tab and i cant get it to play....do you know which drivers i should be downloading????

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
flash9b.ocx is an Adobe flash file. Let's see if we can disable it.

Open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Under the "Programs" tab, click on the "Manage add-ons" button. Locate the entry "Shockwave Flash Object" and click on it...then tick the button next to "Disable". Click "Ok", then "Apply" the changes. Try to delete the folder...if no joy, reboot and try again.

Install These Drivers and see if at least some of the ? marks are removed from Device Manager.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Under the "Programs" tab, click on the "Manage add-ons" button. Locate the entry "Shockwave Flash Object" and click on it...then tick the button next to "Disable". Click "Ok", then "Apply" the changes. Try to delete the folder...if no joy, reboot and try again.

Install These Drivers and see if at least some of the ? marks are removed from Device Manager.

i disabled the shockwave flash object and restarted the comp,tried to delete the system 32 file and after about 2 mins of deleting i got the same cannot delete flash 9b.ocx message i went back to the manage add ons and the shockwave is still disabled......can i not just delete it from the manage add on screen then go and delete the rest of system 32

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

i disabled the shockwave flash object and restarted the comp,tried to delete the system 32 file and after about 2 mins of deleting i got the same cannot delete flash 9b.ocx message i went back to the manage add ons and the shockwave is still disabled......can i not just delete it from the manage add on screen then go and delete the rest of system 32

have just downloaded the driver you asked me too but it has made no difference,the 2 yellow question marks are on the ethernet controller and video controller(vga compatible) icons listed under "other devices"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll need the name of the network adapter you have installed...it should be in the Everest Report under Devices > Windows Devices...or in Device Manager.

For the shockwave file, see if you can more it out of the system32 folder and just put it on the C: drive. Use Cut and Paste to move it rather than drag and drop or Copy/Paste. If you can get that file out of the folder and delete the folder, we'll have better luck getting rid of it.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I'll need the name of the network adapter you have installed...it should be in the Everest Report under Devices > Windows Devices...or in Device Manager.

For the shockwave file, see if you can more it out of the system32 folder and just put it on the C: drive. Use Cut and Paste to move it rather than drag and drop or Copy/Paste. If you can get that file out of the folder and delete the folder, we'll have better luck getting rid of it.

in device manager the name of the network adaptor is Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC but when i open everest under the windows devices and select network adaptors i get a list of 9 including direct paralell,microsoft tv\video connection,the realtek ethernet 1 i just mentioned plus the same realtek 1 with packet scheduler miniport added on the end,then 5 WAN miniports with (ip),(ip)-packet scheduler minport,(L2TP),(PPPOE),and (PPTP) added on the end.