Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

everything opens with paint

• Please log in to reply

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I'll need the name of the network adapter you have installed...it should be in the Everest Report under Devices > Windows Devices...or in Device Manager.

For the shockwave file, see if you can more it out of the system32 folder and just put it on the C: drive. Use Cut and Paste to move it rather than drag and drop or Copy/Paste. If you can get that file out of the folder and delete the folder, we'll have better luck getting rid of it.

in device manager the name of the network adaptor is Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC but when i open everest under the windows devices and select network adaptors i get a list of 9 including direct paralell,microsoft tv\video connection,the realtek ethernet 1 i just mentioned plus the same realtek 1 with packet scheduler miniport added on the end,then 5 WAN miniports with (ip),(ip)-packet scheduler minport,(L2TP),(PPPOE),and (PPTP) added on the end.

have managed to move the shockwave file and sucessfully delete system 32,now all files are deleted in the windows folder but when i try and delete the windows folder itself it deletes for about 30 secs then stops so i still have the folder there even though it is empty...so i havent modified the boot loader yet,will it be safe to modify it with that folder still in place?

Advertisements

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I'll need the name of the network adapter you have installed...it should be in the Everest Report under Devices > Windows Devices...or in Device Manager.

For the shockwave file, see if you can more it out of the system32 folder and just put it on the C: drive. Use Cut and Paste to move it rather than drag and drop or Copy/Paste. If you can get that file out of the folder and delete the folder, we'll have better luck getting rid of it.

in device manager the name of the network adaptor is Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC but when i open everest under the windows devices and select network adaptors i get a list of 9 including direct paralell,microsoft tv\video connection,the realtek ethernet 1 i just mentioned plus the same realtek 1 with packet scheduler miniport added on the end,then 5 WAN miniports with (ip),(ip)-packet scheduler minport,(L2TP),(PPPOE),and (PPTP) added on the end.

have managed to move the shockwave file and sucessfully delete system 32,now all files are deleted in the windows folder but when i try and delete the windows folder itself it deletes for about 30 secs then stops so i still have the folder there even though it is empty...so i havent modified the boot loader yet,will it be safe to modify it with that folder still in place?

um should i have deleted the flash9b.OCX file because there are certain things that are not working now??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll get the flash file back by downloading a fresh copy and putting it in the new system32 folder. Install Shockwave to the Windows0 directory.

See if MoveOnBoot will get the Windows folder. Have you got Folder View set to show "Hidden files and folders"? There may be files in there you can't see.

You can go ahead and change the boot.ini file. All that will do is tell the machine to boot to the new directory without the prompt to choose your operating system at startup.

The Realtek site seems to be down at the moment...I'll get you a link to that driver when the site comes backup.

Edited by wannabe1, 27 December 2006 - 07:46 AM.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
[quote name='wannabe1' date='Dec 27 2006, 01:39 PM' post='867658']
We'll get the flash file back by downloading a fresh copy and putting it in the new system32 folder. Install Shockwave to the Windows0 directory.

See if MoveOnBoot will get the Windows folder. Have you got Folder View set to show "Hidden files and folders"? There may be files in there you can't see.

You can go ahead and change the boot.ini file. All that will do is tell the machine to boot to the new directory without the prompt to choose your operating system at startup.

The Realtek site seems to be down at the moment...I'll get you a link to that driver when the site comes backup.
[/quote i have downloaded shockwave and flash and i presume they have been put in system 32 folder,will i need to show the hidden files again? i can get into the realtek site but am not sure what driver to download? any ideas?? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give This Driver a try.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Give This Driver a try.

i still get the yellow question marks in device manager...... when ive downloaded that zipfile,do i move it into c drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You need to right click on the zip file and choose "Extract All"...you should then see a new file...double click on that to install the drivers.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

You need to right click on the zip file and choose "Extract All"...you should then see a new file...double click on that to install the drivers.

have extracted the zip file and when the new folder appears i double click on it and it opens to reveal the contents but does not download........i still have the yellow question marks... :whistling:

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

have extracted the zip file and when the new folder appears i double click on it and it opens to reveal the contents but does not download........i still have the yellow question marks... :whistling:

the file PCI_installshield_5649_061120 is now in my local disk© section alongside the windows0 file and the others....i cant seem to find a way of downloading it..should i try and get it into the windows0 file??? will this PCI file get my ethernet controller and video controller(vga compatible) sorted??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go to Device Manager, right click on each of the devices that are "flagged", and choose "Update Driver"...let windows search for the drivers. You may have to include the location of the extracted files in the search, but Windows should find them and install them. Once you have done this, let me know what you see in Device Manager.

Advertisements

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Go to Device Manager, right click on each of the devices that are "flagged", and choose "Update Driver"...let windows search for the drivers. You may have to include the location of the extracted files in the search, but Windows should find them and install them. Once you have done this, let me know what you see in Device Manager.

managed to download the video controller but the ethernet controller cant be found...the wizard cant seem to find the software needed for this hardware so i only have the 1 yellow question mark to go......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm guessing this is a PCI Network card...not the onboard. Download this Realtek Driver and extract it...it should have an installer you can run.

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I'm guessing this is a PCI Network card...not the onboard. Download this Realtek Driver and extract it...it should have an installer you can run.

downloaded and extracted the file...right clicked on the yellow question mark to update driver but the wizard could still not find it.......... :whistling:

handyjay

handyjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

downloaded and extracted the file...right clicked on the yellow question mark to update driver but the wizard could still not find it.......... :whistling:

have opened the PCI file and clicked on setup .exe it then proceded to download the realtek gbe & fe ethernet pci nic driver to my computer i went to check the device manager only to find there was still the yellow ? i then tried to update the driver but it still couldnt find it i checked the add and remove programs icon from the control panel and the ethernet driver is installed there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

Just out of curiosity, try Windows Update. Use the "Custom" option and check for hardware updates after it scans your machine. Does it show any available?