Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC keeps stalling.

• Please log in to reply

In training

In training

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Lets hope I can stay running long enough to type this!
For no apparent reason my PC freezes with the only way of restarting is to shut down from the switch on the front of the PC.
Occasionally, I think its going to freeze, everything stops, including cursor movement. Then my screen goes black and then everything is normal again. Until next time.
Sometimes the screen goes black and then wont come back on until I reboot using the switch on the PC.
Error reports afterwards report a problem with the graffics card - I cant install the graffics driver at all without serious problems. Mainly the PC wont start! :whistling:
Everything runs as normal when Im not crashed :blink: When I first had the problem, a man that can in the shop replaced the graffics card and all was fine for about a month, and now Im back again. Surely the graffics card hasnt gone again??
Greatful for any help guys :help:

Advertisements

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
It sounds mor like a power problem to me. But def wait till one of the real staff here get on it. I just like to read all these threads.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Download Speedfan 4.31 from here
http://www.majorgeek...ownload337.html

Please post a screen shot of your current temperatures and power voltages and I will get a staff member to look at it..

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Posted Image
Cheers for such a quick response chaps. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well the good news is those temps are ok,

I dont know about the voltages, lemme ask a staff member to look at it.. Im sure he will be with you as soon as he can.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The -5V is VERY off. It should be closer to -5V and yours is showing +2.19V. I would definitely get your power supply replaced because that low of voltage could definitely be causing your problem.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 December 2006 - 04:06 AM.

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I wish I knew what the -5v was!! :whistling:
Would the power supply also cause the probs with the graffics card too? When ever I try to install the drivers, my PC wont even boot up. The shop suggested I then install updates straight from NVidia but how can I if I cant boot :blink:

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
u can isolate the problem by restarting the computer in safe mode.
keep it in safe mode and then chk if it is restarting or not, if u really think it is a video card prblem then connect the vga cable from monitor to the onboard motherboard connector and chk,,,

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

u can isolate the problem by restarting the computer in safe mode.
keep it in safe mode and then chk if it is restarting or not, if u really think it is a video card prblem then connect the vga cable from monitor to the onboard motherboard connector and chk,,,

Maybe I should have mentioned at the start - Im female. And blonde to boot :blink: Im fairly tall and most of that still went over my head. Please talk to me as you would a 3 year old :whistling:
When I have this problem while media player is running - I dont lose any sound or continuity. The playlist continues as it should until I reboot. The same when Im playing online games. Its like the screen has gone into sleep mode without the PC.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Would the power supply also cause the probs with the graffics card too? When ever I try to install the drivers, my PC wont even boot up. The shop suggested I then install updates straight from NVidia but how can I if I cant boot :whistling:

I too suspect the power supply is bad....
exactly how are you trying to install the drivers....
give us more of your system specs...make and model #
how many programs are you running at the time of the system hang/freeze.....
the more info you can give us the easier it is to diagnose the problem.....

Advertisements

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ive tried installing the drivers straight from disc, also from Nvidias web site. Reboot then nothing. I cant start the PC normally. Have to Safe mode and remove the drivers to start the PC.
I have very little actually installed and running on the PC full stop. I cant stay "on" long enough to install anything properly. You can see from the pickie whats running, sometimes I dont even get as far as opening a web page.
Im not sure on the other info :whistling: Is there anyway to find it all on the pc?
Warned you at my lack of pooter knowledge. :blink:

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Just gone exploring to see if I can find the info your after.
Is this it?
AMDathlon™ XP 2400+
2.02GHz, 512 mb of ram.

Now I know for a fact I have 2 sticks of 512 kingston. Could I have a fault with the ram and this is causing these problems? And does Kingston have a life time garuante?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the info I would like is ...who made the computer..ie:gateway...dell...ect...and what model ie : demsion 450...

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Its a home build so no specific make or model. A mish mash :blink:
I take it certain makes have certain probs then :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am replying to this on a Athlon 2400 home built computer i built from spare parts. Your power supply is completely whacky. My speedfan voltages are :

vcore=1.65v
+3.3= 3.36
+5= 4.92
+12= 12.34
-12= -12.20
-5= -5.15
vbat= 3.12

The original power supply in this computer was getting strange voltages so i replaced the PS with a Thermotake 430 watt unit. This was a brand new Powmax case i bought from newegg.

SRX660