Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC keeps stalling.

• Please log in to reply

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Cheers for that chaps. PCs in for a complete overhaul after chrimbo and hopefully new motherboard and chip too so will get a new power supply in at same time. :whistling: But its nice to know its not something Ive done to it :)
Do you think theres anything I can do to help/improve it so I can at least stay on long enough to natter to distant friends over the holiday period?
Plus any advice on a motherboard and chip would be greatfully recieved. I may just look like I know what Im talking about and hopefully not be ripped off :help:
Thanks again. :blink:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get everest home here......

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Its a tool that will tell us EVERYTHING about your hardware...its free...

the motherboard name and model will do to start....

you can also click on the + sign in ... computer on the left hand side...post a screenshot of the temps and voltages again

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
everest..JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• everest2.JPG

Edited by In training, 22 December 2006 - 12:42 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The motherboard of your computer is AsRock k7vm4. According to its manual the voltages it reads are +12, +5, +3. vcore. All these are more or less norml in the measurements, except for the 3 volts which is somewhat too low. The abnormal readings (- 5 and cmos battery) are not read by this sensor. It is still possible that the power supply unit is not in good condition but other factors can also create the problem.

If you have an AGP or PCI video card I would take it out and connect the monitor to the other viseo port which is part og the motherboard.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The motherboard of your computer is AsRock k7vm4.

NO... the mobo is reported as a AsRock k7S41GX by everest....

you can try connecting to the onboard video though...remove AGP video card first..be static safe..if you don't know about static safe ...go here..

http://www.associate...the_danger.html

Edited by happyrck, 22 December 2006 - 07:05 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry about the mistake, happyrck. The board is K7S41GX. I just looked at the wrong note on my desk. Otherwise all the instructions in my previos post are valid.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Sorry about the mistake, happyrck. The board is K7S41GX. I just looked at the wrong note on my desk. Otherwise all the instructions in my previos post are valid.

yep....no problem....I too get so many scrap pieces of paper with error codes and the like...easy to get them mixed up..
about the voltages...I have a client that speedfan reports his 12V rail at 11.02V...been that way for at least 6 months...should not work but still going WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Usually a computer can take a drop of voltage even up to 10% If this is the minimum at all time (now lower then that when a new device powers up, for example). This is especially true with 12v which is used to run electromechanical systems like fans and drive motors. Besides, voltage and temp sensors are quite often inaccurate that's why I regard the results as approximations and not as deffinite values.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Usually a computer can take a drop of voltage even up to 10% If this is the minimum at all time (now lower then that when a new device powers up, for example). This is especially true with 12v which is used to run electromechanical systems like fans and drive motors. Besides, voltage and temp sensors are quite often inaccurate that's why I regard the results as approximations and not as deffinite values.

I agree...I also like to use BOTH speedfan and everest...as speedfan and motherboard monitor doesn't support all the motherboards and everest seems to read them all...so far anyway...
I have found many low end mobo's don't even have the sensors ..or don't have them hooked up at all...

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Not being pooter savvy, is there better instructions on what I plug in where?
I didnt even know I had onboard graffix :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look at the back of your case...see where your monitor plugs into computer..that would be your video card...unplug from there and look higher on the back of the case for a connector that looks like the one you just disconnected from...plug into that one....
you should open the case and after disconnecting from the wall..remove the video card....

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for that :blink: Will try later this evening and see if theres any improvements.
Anything else I can check or look at while I have the PC open? Will obviously take the time and clean while there. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just be sure to be static safe....clean the cpu heatsink fins and the heatsink fan real good...

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well I tried removing the graffix card and running from the onboard, when I rebooted the pc afterwards my settings had reset themselves to a 4bit colour scheme! Now that was an eye sore :blink:
I reset it to 2bit and suffered nothing but blue screens!! Couldnt start at all in safe mode :whistling:
Think Im looking at a couple of probs rather than just the one?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What are 2 bit and 4 bit colour schemes? If you go to control panel > display > settings you will see that the minimum is 16 bits.

If you can't start the computer without the external video card put it back in place (after shutting the computer off), boot up, go to control panel > system > hardware > device manager > display adapters. Click on the + sign and then right-click each of the display drivers that show up and uninstall them. Turn off the computer normally, pull again the video card out, restart and let windows boot with default video drivers. Please report.

Edited by The Skeptic, 24 December 2006 - 10:43 AM.