Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC keeps stalling.

• Please log in to reply

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'd never seen 4bit colour either - but trust me - thats what it said. If it happens again I'll get a screen shot :whistling:
Have removed graffix card and now the drivers too, after some struggle and have been online for an hour now with no problems! :rofl: Even multiple pages!! Have also managed to get both sticks of ram working too.
Its a good night :) Volatges havent changed any :blink: Do we have another diagnosis? Do you think the graffix card is a right off? Still need power supply?

So greatful for all your help guys. Big snogs comming straight at ya :help:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't think you have to worry about the power supply unit. Now enter device manager and see if you have the correct video deriver. You shouldn't see coloured exclamation or question mark near the driver.

It is possible that your external video card or the bus or the slot in which it sits is faulty. If the present situation (monitor connected to onboard connection) is good enough then leave it at that. If you need the external card we will have to see what can be done.

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
VGA.JPG
Like this?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes. You have to install the missing driver. If you have a drivers CD which you should have gotten with the computer run it and install video driver. If you don't, enter the motherboard manufacturer's internet site, download from there and install. If successfull the question mark will disappear.

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Updated the driver and no more coloured symbols :whistling: Yesterday was a good day, apparently no problems all day. And no crashes either!
But this morning I have new problems. Bluescreens galore.
Sometimes no messages of error - just the memory dump. But most are RQL not less or equal? Bad pool header?
Make any sense? Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water :blink:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens if you try running in safe mode.....

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Everything seems fine. Can log into admin and other profiles with no problems. Cant try tinternet connection ofcourse.
Just had to reboot 3 times to get back on :whistling: after blue screens. A quick question. When PC blue screens, is it best to let it finish the memory dump or reboot asap?
Latest error report.
system_error.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Everything seems fine...HOW LONG DID YOU RUN IN SAFE MODE...LONG ENOUGH TO SEE IF GET BSOD ?
Can log into admin and other profiles with no problems...DID YOU TRY DOING ANYTHING THAT IN NORMAL MODE WOULD CAUSE BSOD

Cant try internet connection of course....TRY SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

Just had to reboot 3 times to get back on :whistling: after blue screens....IS THIS IN NORMAL OR SAFE MODE

A quick question. When PC blue screens, is it best to let it finish the memory dump or reboot asap? LET IT FINISH

Latest error report. ....THAT BCCODE 19 MAY BE A MEMORY PROBLEM

can you get a screenshot of the event viewer system logs with any red or yellow warnings...

How to View Event Logs
To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:
1. Click Start... and then click Control Panel... Click Performance and Maintenance... then click Administrative Tools... and then double-click Computer Management.
2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window....
you may find a event viewer shortcut icon in the Administrative Tools section...just click on that icon

Edited by happyrck, 28 December 2006 - 09:18 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you leave the video card attached to the motherboard or did you take it off? Please try to work only with the video connection built into the motherboard and physically remove the add-on video card.

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Am only running via the onboard. It DID (if only for a short time) allow me to stay online :blink:
right...here goes. Am now running in safe mode with networking(never used this setting before. safe networking virgin :help: ) Bluescreen past five attempts to log on in normal mode.
Errors reading - IRQL not less or equal.
Bad pool header.
Bugcode USB driver
Page fault in non paged area. x2! In that order.

Happyrck - ran in safe mode for about half an hour. Usually enough time to suffer any problems. I get blue screens with error reports when trying to access internet (as those above) when I try to access Cdrive I have blue screen - but no error report - it just says its closed to protect. Have been letting bluescreens finish, least Im doing something right.
Screen shots.
EVantivirus.JPG
EVapplication.JPG
System info wont allow me to copy a shot and nothing showing in security logs.
Im starting to feel really exhasperated, I only use the pc to run the rescue centre and I cant do that at present. :whistling: Where am I going wrong?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your anti virus AVAST has gone haywire...try uninstalling it after getting AVG..its free..install it first...

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the system and write down the different errors you see there...you could also use capture by ANALOGX..its free and gets pic's of any thing you see...

http://www.analogx.c...load/system.htm

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Before anything else I would run a thorough antimalware scan in safe mode. Your Avast seems to have lots of problems so I would try uninstall and reinstall. update and run a scan. I would also download, update and run the following free programs: Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4, Ad-Aware SE, AVG antispyware.

If the cleanup doesn't help (which I expect to be the case) I would think that there is a good chance that the problems are the result of a corrup xp installation. I would try a xp repair installation. For this you need your xp installation cd.

Frankly, I am not too keen about this procedure which quite often doesn't help or even leave your computer in a worse state. At the moment it seems to me that you have nothing to loose. Before starting please remove or at least disable all antimalware programs that run in the background (Avast and AVG antispyware in my list).

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I cant get avg to install. Do we have an emoticon for pulling your hair out :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can't install AVG remove Avast and reinstall it.