Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC keeps stalling.

• Please log in to reply

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
have removed all traces of both avast and avg that I can find. AVG says its installed but failed to start. But wont let me start it :whistling:
Does anyone have a large mallet at all??

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After removing Avast reinstall and run it. My first choice is AVG but I encountered several cases in which AVG got corrupt and couldn't be run, removed or reinstalled. In all this cases I managed to install and run Avast. If you can't install AVG don't worry about that at the moment. If you can reinstall and run Avast please do that. The important thing is to have an updated antivirus that can run a scan.

If you do not succeed please try to run an online scan with Panda or trend Micro antivirus.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you cant install a anti virus...you are probably infected...go to this link and follow the instructions there and then start a new thread in the malware removal section...reply back here with a link to the new thread and I'll stay with you....

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Have got avast back on and just going through all the checks as listed now. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:whistling: ...if your still having problems after the trot thru the malware section...post back here ...

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
IM BACK!!! Did ya miss me? :blink:
Had some really bad times over chrimbo with blue screens and crashes.
For those unsure what 4 bit colour schemes look like.....
4bit.JPG
You can see what the back ground should look like from other pickies.
Im back to regular craches and blue screens. Ive run through all the recomendations on the main page and everything comes back all clear :whistling: Panda doesnt find anything, highjack lists are short and sweet :help:
and regfix is all good too.
Today he (the pc) seems to be in a co-operative mood.

Hijack this thread
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=143523

Edited by In training, 31 December 2006 - 06:11 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you were gone..?? :help: oh yaa...I remember...it was so peaceful.... :whistling:
now back to the salt mines.... :blink:

about your other thread....you need to post the WHOLE hjt log...you only posted part of it....edit that post by deleting it and repost the full log there...

get some more screenshots of the event viewer errors....try any system log errors...

I've gone over this whole thread...more like a book now though..
I still suspect the power supply....and we may have to try a repair on windows...but first

have you tried any different screen resolutions...

lets test your memory...get memtest86+...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you don't have any errors we can try other things...you have to press the escape key to make it stop...

http://www.memtest.org/

and what is chrimbo ????

Edited by happyrck, 31 December 2006 - 07:25 AM.

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
EVapplication.JPG EVsystem.JPG
Have posted full HTL now :whistling:

This memtest? I cant burn or mount the iso and the exe flashed something on the screen then disappeared :help: Where am I going wrong now?? :blink:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
memtest tutorial here...

http://www.techspot....se-Memtest.html

if you don't have a burning program that does .iso (image) files get burncdcc..its a fast no frills iso burner..

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

the short version is to download the iso file...burn the iso to a cd...set your computer to boot from the cd first in the bios..put the memtest cd in your cd drive and reboot...follow the onscreen prompts...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you haven't backed up anything you can't live without....nows the time to do it...verify your backups before proceeding with the registry fix...

about those 4311 errors...
CAUSE
These issues may occur after a malicious program removes the administrative shares on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0.

Frequently, malicious users connect to these administrative shares by taking advantage of weak passwords, missing security updates, direct exposure of the computer to the Internet, or a combination of these factors. The malicious users then install malicious programs to expand their influence over the computer and over the rest of the computer network. In many cases, these malicious programs remove the administrative shares as a defensive move to prevent other competing malicious users from taking control of the infected systems.

possible fix for...

RESOLUTION
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To verify whether a computer is affected by this issue, follow these steps:
1. Examine the AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks registry values to make sure that they are not set to 0:
a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
b. Locate and then click the following registry sub-key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
c. If the AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks DWORD values in the LanmanServer\Parameters sub-key are configured with a value data of 0, change that value to 1.

Note If these values do not exist, you do not have to create them because the default behavior is to automatically create the administrative shares.
d. Quit Registry Editor.
2. Restart the computer. Typically, computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0 automatically create the administrative shares during startup.
3. After the computer restarts, verify that the administrative shares are active. To examine the shares, use the net share command. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
b. At the command prompt, type net share, and then press ENTER.
c. Look for the Admin$, C$, and IPC$ administrative shares in the list of shares.
If the administrative shares are not listed, the computer may be running a malicious program that removes the shares during startup.

I will be offline between 9:45 AM Pacific time..until some time late this afternoon or early evening

Edited by happyrck, 31 December 2006 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you appear to have a vundo infection...post back when your cleaned up....after cleanup your problem might be gone.... :whistling:

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ran every check I can think of and nothing picked up?
Panda, macafee, bit defender, vundofix :blink:
Ran the memtest last night, 5 passes no errors.
Reset the parameters as explained - they were set at 0.
Everything on the pc now seems to be running great :)

Except....
Now when I reboot I get a disk error and have to press f1 to continue :help:

Happy new year :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
almost done...

Running chkdsk on your Windows® XP or 2000 system can most often repair numerous minor Windows® problems you may have experienced and/or encountered. Many people regularly run chkdsk as a part of their overall computer maintenance plan.

1. Click the Start button then select.... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd ...
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing the following commands where the cursor is blinking....
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...Enter...
5. a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...Enter...
7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press <Enter> to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot (restart). While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot (restart) your computer.

Edited by happyrck, 02 January 2007 - 10:24 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Is this an error message for the floppy drive on startup

In training

In training

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It just says disk error so your guess is as good as mine :help:
Am due a complete over haul next week so hopefully new MB and chip and anything else thats boogared :rofl: Any advice on what to "install" greatly recieved.

But big thanks to all of you for helping get this one sorted :whistling: :blink: :)