Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubles building a new system

• Please log in to reply

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Tried to put together a new computer today it contains:
ASUS M2NBP- VM CSM motherboard
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual Core AM2 cpu
Corsair 1GB DDR2-533 PC4200 memory
ASUS 7600GS video card
Have harddrives from older computer

Push the power button lights come on can hear the harddrives turning but nothing comes up on the monitor. Would really like some suggestions on what it could be the only thing i can think of is that the motherboard or cpu are broken. I have spent the last hour or so making sure everything was plugged in properly.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to the information i find on the motherboard you have on-board Nvidia Geforce6 video, and from your post you have installed a Nvidia 7600 video card.

Have you disabled the on-board video in the BIOS so the motherboard will use the 7600 video card for the video?

SRX660

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I cant even get to the BIOS to do that. I have tried plugging the monitor into the on board video card and still nothing. Nothing gets displayed on the monitor. There are no beeps from the motherboard.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Have you tried removing your 7600 GS and just using the on board video to see if you can at least get into the BIOS/get it to boot like that?

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yep tried that and didnt work.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Do you have power connected to the 24 and 4 pin connectors on the motherboard?

:whistling:

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yep both power connections are on the board.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Have you tested the monitor on a working system? It could possibly be faulty. If the monitor isn't the problem, then try replacing the cable to see if that is the issue.

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes i have tested the monitor on a working system and it works fine. I believe it to be the motherboard i have tried making the motherboard beep by some suggestions in other threads but no beeps. The cpu fan is running the green light on the motherboard comes on when psu is turned on. I am going to exchange the motherboard now and will post if that corrects the problem.

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
k so i found the problem had a faulty psu had it testes and it was missing a -5v so that was causing all my problems everything works fine now. I would like to thank everyone for there suggestions.