Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mass Storage Device Removal

• Please log in to reply

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I had to install a new Hard Disk after the old one died on my Sony PCV-RZ54G. After installing XP-Pro SP2, Windows Explorer shows 4 USB mass storage devices (D,E,F,G)plus my USB HP printer (H) ALL with drive letters attached to them. I can use "safely remove hardware" and they are removed. But when I reboot they come back again. I was able to reassign the drive letters D,E,and F to my new partition and the 2 DVD drives to get what I wanted but can't get rid of the unwanted "mass storage devices"(W,X,Y,Z). Any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Are you sure there is no card-reader attached or built-in to the PC, or maybe the printer incorporates a card-reader? A card reader is detected by Windows as a mass storage device, with a separate drive letter assigned to each slot on the card-reader.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
There are 4 card slots on the PSC2410 printer and 3 card slots on the Sony tower. I never had this problem with the old hard drive. I didn't reload the system with the Sony Windows system disk so maybe that's the problem. I'll try to install new hardware and use the Sony disk to find the drivers.Maybe that will fix the problems.