Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gateway or Toshiba?

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see... How old is that laptop now? I read consumer reports for that specific model, courtesy of Circuit City, and there were a few little complaints, mostly with the battery not lasting very long, but from reading what they wrote, it doesn't sound like they know how to avoid wasting all the power either, so it depends on the knowledge. Sadly, they sold out of the Acers a few hours ago, so I can't leave this topic now... I suppose I could go for a Gateway, but I don't know what the better choice is, and I don't want to regret this later lol I don't think Toshiba's in the race anymore, they really don't have what I need. It's now between Gateway and Acer I think...

Advertisements

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
All i have to say is

"eww" to Dell ....

Dell = [bleep]

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've made my decision to give Gateway a shot. Sadly, if I don't jump on the deal now, I get the feeling I won't see a good deal on one like this for a bit, so I jumped on it. Hopefully it won't give me grief. Thanks again :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah the battery does not last long.

When its dying, the screen fades out. (Dark)
When its charging its still dark.

Yes your right. The battery does not last long. Maybe a hour if were lucky enough.

Please let us know how the gateway works :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I sure will :whistling:

I forgot to show you the new specs of the Gateway. Only one or two things changed, and it was cheaper than the other store :blink:

Gateway MX6426
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-40 ---- 2.0 GHz
15.4" Ultrabright Widescreen
1 GB DDR2 RAM
120GB Hard Disk
CD-RW/DVD-RW Combo
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows Vista Premium Ready (Express shipping included)

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Whew stormknight your getting a deal there.

Hope it runs well.

Edited by Yield22, 22 December 2006 - 09:06 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

All i have to say is

"eww" to Dell ....

Dell = [bleep]

Can we get that again, this time in something at least semi-intelligent?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts

All i have to say is

"eww" to Dell ....

Dell = [bleep]

It would be smart to leave it at that friend :whistling:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
How would it? Dells are some of the most well built, and the best value for money pcs on the market. They may not specialize in exactly what some people want, but for the majority they are excellent.

EDIT:

Before you ask - no I do not own a dell.

Edited by SuperSam, 23 December 2006 - 07:09 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I sure will :whistling:

I forgot to show you the new specs of the Gateway. Only one or two things changed, and it was cheaper than the other store :blink:

Gateway MX6426
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-40 ---- 2.0 GHz
15.4" Ultrabright Widescreen
1 GB DDR2 RAM
120GB Hard Disk
CD-RW/DVD-RW Combo
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows Vista Premium Ready (Express shipping included)

Almost the same as the dell I got for my wife. With a few exceptions. I got her a dual core Pentium and 2gb ram. I also got her the 17 inch wide screen. Her's is far and away better than mine :help:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
lol I'll probably upgrade to 2 GB later, but I'm in no hurry.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok running on 256mb isn't so bad now isnt it.

and a 40gb HD? nahh

win2k server.. im lovin it lol.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
My experience with Dell is Horrible.

I've never bought stuff from Dell and never will. I don't trust a company that does its business solely from the internet. I either build my own computer or I buy it from a retail outlet. That way I can talk to a living, breathing person in the flesh if something goes wrong. You can't do that with Dell. With Dell, you take your chances.

Then people will get into the quality of the Dell. Ok lets talk about the quality and practicality of it. My friend has a Dell he wanted to upgrade the ram in it which is 256mb. I don' tknow if this goes for all other Dells but his uses Rambus Ram. Rambus happens to be some of the most expensive ram on the market. Not to many people use it. It is faster than normal ram but to upgrade the systems ram would take some good money to bump it up to 1gb !

Then there is the harddrive. In my buddies model which is a desktop they use a quieter hard drive .. ok great! BUT for them to do that they got a Laptop hard drive which spins at 5400rpm and holds hardly 60gbs of space. This computer is only 1 year old. I know for a fact that systems 1 year ago were much better!

Support from Dell again is horrible. Why ? They have outsourced there customer support. Now I'm not racist, but i can't quite understand sometimes what people from India are saying and doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm sorry but my stomach just doesn't agree with Dell. Don't like them don't think i ever will. If i ever had to buy a computer from the shelf i wouldn't buy Dell if it was the last computer around.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell PCs suck but the laptops are good, but you cant blame dell dell sell PCs bargain basement style you buy cheap computer hardware expect a cheap computer and cheap service, its like buying a cheap car and complaining that it has no power steering and breaks down all the time.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
For me.. I would never, again, purchase a store bought computer. I see to many of our customers come in with store bought computers that right after the warenty becomes void they start getting problems that cost $$. Like Hard Drives going bad, Power supplies, Motherboards, Ram. The thing I noticed the most is the cheap hardware that goes into store bought computers and the high cost of buying them.

Laptops are a whole different breed. Everything is made and assembled on a smaller scale. Though like cars and desktop PC's there are good ones and bad. I have seen Good Dell laptops and I have seen bad ones. They are all man made and like cars you sometimes get a lemon.

I do prefer Toshiba over Dell or HP when it comes to laptop's. Though ACER, and someone stated here about them. are getting a lot of attention. We have sold two at the office to customers and I was a little impressed at how well they run.

I also think that if I were to purchase a laptop (new) I would shell out the extra $$ for the extended warnety so to protect my investment.