Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Digital Camera

• Please log in to reply

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok, I need some help on what digital camera I should get. All I am planning to do is take pictures for Myspace for my friends and I. Every once in awhile I may go around to take other pictures of my.... environment and site seeing stuff. Anyway, what do ya'll think would be the best for this type of stuff? I don't need any super expensive version.

Thanks.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you plan on cropping the images, doing any editing what so ever?
Budget?
James

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Yah, you will definitely have to give more information. Is this a long term camera that you want to have for awhile, or is it just a quickie to get some pictures on myspace (myspace is evil and will only help to further the decline of civilization).

I really have no idea what cropping and editing has to do with the type of camera, but we will need some usage and budget information before we can give any real help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

(myspace is evil and will only help to further the decline of civilization).

:whistling: So true
This comes to mind (click here)

Edit: if your cropping and editing I'd suggest as camera with more mega pixels as when you stretch an image out you don't want it to be blurry or pixelated. But considering the industry standard is 6.0 now, you should be safe.

Edited by james_8970, 21 December 2006 - 06:48 PM.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
My current digital camera is a Sony Mavica FD87. And believe it or not, it uses floppy disks for storage. When I bought my Dell puter a couple of years ago, I had to specify a floppy drive to get one.
I bought it new almost 5 years ago. Although only 1.3 megapixel, it does take pretty good snapshots.
I'm looking at a 6 mp Panasonic now, or a 6 mp Kodak. Gonna upgrade. The Mavica has been a good one, but just want to get "fancier". And the new one will cost less than I paid for the Sony. :whistling:

Seriously, many online sites have a buyers guide, possibly a questionaire to help you decide what you want your camera to do. Want video? Casual snapshots? Nature photography? Rapid fire shots? And some have links to reviews such as CNet.

P.S. Anyone want to buy 30 or 40 unused floppies???

Edited by Pluto56, 05 January 2007 - 02:28 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, i had a teacher at HS who had the camera that took floppies wasn't a bad camera either for the time, the whole one picture per floppy was rubbish though.

I got a camera for my dad(work stuff) the new sony one and its a really really nice camera.

You should always have a floppy for your computer alot of things still use them especially diagnostic tools.

Edited by warriorscot, 05 January 2007 - 05:19 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a good site, it has galleries using the most popular cameras, and the buying guide has a feature search, or you can use side by side comparisons

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Scott, my Sony will do anything from 5 pics per floppy up to 32. Got it set at the moment for 5. Higher resolution. But it is nothing like today's cameras.
Originally, I bought it after seeing another like it, liked the convenience, take the pic, pop the floppy in the puter, walla, instant picture!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do just fine with the Kodak cameras. I tried some of the others but for the kind of picturs i take the kodak's are all i need. Right now i have a3.2, 5.1 MP, and a 7.1 MP. The 3.2 was a Walmart special which i dont like at all because it has no zoom, and few options on the camera. But for $99 what do you expect, EH!

I buoght my wife a 5.1 Megapixel Point and Click camera. She likes this camera simply because she does not have to hold the button halfway down to focus the camera. It also has a movie mode that lets her take 30 second movies.

For myself i bought a 7.1 MP with a 10X optical zoom. If i could have got this with a point and click camera i would have bought it, but alas it was not to be. So i use this camera to do most of my still work and a lot of up close stuff.

The next camera will be a point and click, 10X to 12X optical zoom (digital zoom is junk), SLR, 8.1 or better camera like one of these.

http://www.usa.canon...p;modelid=11154

http://www.usa.canon...p;modelid=14256

I am looking at the canon's simply because the kodaks do not want to make SLR cameras.
I always take pictures in the highest mode and use computer software to adjust picture sizes and definintion.

SRX660

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have the Canon Digital Rebel xti - I wouldn't trade it for anything.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I have the Canon Digital Rebel xti - I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Give it over hear! :whistling: I want that so bad, but can only dream about owning such a camera.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 January 2007 - 12:19 PM.