Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A little Annoying Problem..

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
It only started recently, and I don't know why. But lately my computer .. well it hasn't been slow, but it freezes for like a second about 5 times every minute, and it is REALLY getting on my nerves. I have no clue what's causing the problem, I've uninstalled some hefty useless programs but it came to no avail, it is still doing the same thing. Help would be appreciated!

Oh and Merry Christmas :whistling:

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I would try checking for spyware and viruses
also a good way to keep useless stuff off of your computer is to use ccleaner
it can also fix registry problems
although im not sure if this will fix your particular issue it never hurts to try
also you could try defragmenting

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Good advice from AMD2400. Defrag should help this kind of problem. Aside from malware issues, which these days we must take seriously, it would be a good idea to take a look at your background processes. I like Process Explorer from Sysinternals: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx Download the free utility at the bottom of the page. No installation required, just run the .exe file. It minimizes to the tray. Not only will it display all running processes, but a mouse over a scvhost entry will pop up a small list of Services running under that scvhost instance. http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm provides a good overview of XP "Services."
Don't make alot of changes to Services all at once. One at a time so you know what "broke it."
Start as few processes with Windows as you can-start most of your regular programs manualy. I even update java manually instead of running jusched in the background all the time. The lighter, the better.
I also suggest that you check your pagefile. Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change and check the radio button that says"System Managed" if not already checked. Windows will give itself whatever it feels it needs, and will not be constrained by artificial limitations. http://mywebpages.co...CD/XPMyths.html gives a good overview of many mistaken "Tweaks" for XP. Required reading.
With good malware correction, good cleaning, and process/Services control I think you'll find that everythin hums along contentedly.
Good luck-1101doc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
another good idea would be to open up the computer and clean out any dustbunnies in there with some canned air...make sure you hold any fans (cpu fan, graphics card, etc..) still when you blow the air...otherwise you can burn out the bearings

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Wow, thanks for all the help you guys! I appreciate it. Merry Christmas again :whistling: