Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Error

• Please log in to reply

vampy

vampy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
For quite awhile now I have been getting the Windows Explorer error message basically saying Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, etc., etc., etc. This is happening usually when I try to view a video file, more so avi file, but not all avi files. It makes no difference how or where I got the file. I uploaded some videos from my camcorder, tried to view them and as soon s I click on the file I get flipped out, get error message, desktop icons flash and eventually everything returns to normal. I uploaded the same files onto my Laptop and had no problem at all, so I know it is not the camcorder or the camcorder video files, same with testing other video files that I have problems with onto my Laptop. I have run numerous spyware or adware programs such as adaware, pest patrol, and others. I use Avast antivirus, and XP firewall. Have an HP Pavillion, OS Windows XP Media Center Version 2002, SP2 -- AMD Athlon ™ 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 994MHz 960 MB Ram, 250 Gig Internal HD 300 GIG internal HD, and several external HD's. I have removed different programs trying thru process of elimination to see if there is a conflict, disconnected one at a time and all the external things, researched the error message problem on the Internet, and so far I can not resolve this problem and it is driving me nuts. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One other thing, I have a friend in another location encountering the exact same problem and while we have a lot of the same software on our computers, and visit a few of the same sites, everything else is completely different. Sorry this is so long but hope by giving you as much info as possible it will understand the problem. Thanks bunches. Vampy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with updating or re-installing the video card software

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

If there is no change, run through this, although you can run through it in any event

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

vampy

vampy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
FYI For anyone else who has ever had this problem here is a hint to try. I tried everything everyone suggested to no avial. Finally I printed out the roor message and really looked at it and decided to find out more about the ModName, as that seemed to me could be the problem. In my case it was xvid.dll I did a search for xvid.dll and found it in several places and thought I would try a process of elimination. Remeber before you make any changes, always create a restore point, and before you actually remove a file copy it to somewhere else on your computer and rename it, referencing the old name in the new one. Upon the search I found xvid.dll in Windows System32, and after copying the file and renaming it, I deleted it and it has solved all my problems with the Windows Explorer Error message. Since that solved the problem I did not remove it from anywhere else as I felt pretty sure it was actually needed in the other places. Hope this bit of info helps someone else that constantly gets the error message. I do not think my solution is for everyone and every message, but when you continue to get the error message in the same type area or with same type files, then this is well worth trying. Thanks to those who made suggestions. Vampy