Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

photo printer/queue problems

• Please log in to reply

padre03

padre03

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have a Canon Selphy 510 that worked fine until I moved. Since moving, I cannot get any photos to print - it appears that the files are getting stuck in the queue. I've unistalled & reinstalled the software and drivers multiple times to no avail, and have tried using different USB ports as well.

I've tried the printer on my work pc to verify that it isn't a hardware issue - if anyone can offer some insight I'd very much appreciate it.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, printers and faxes, right click the printer, is cancel documents an option

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes, I can cancel the documents from the queue. I get no error messages...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you check again, if there are no queued documents, it should not be an option

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'll check that when I get home - it'll be several hours before I get back to you. If you could offer any additonal advice in advance it'd be great...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click the taskbar printer icon and cancel there, it either does or doesn't, cancelling from printer options is supposed to be more reliable

Hopefully that is all it is

Another feature I get is a document which won't print because it could not access enough resources to spool, so the printer halts, yet after rebooting the PC, it prints

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I've tried leaving the document in the queue and rebooting, but that doesn't do anything. I've also tried restarting the document from the printer options - that takes the file out of the queue, but the document still does not print.

Edited by padre03, 21 December 2006 - 04:32 PM.

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
In response to your first question, there is no "cancel documents" option when there are no documents in the queue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use windows installer clean up to remove the printer

Link included

http://support.micro...kb/290301/en-us

Remove the lead from the printer to the PC

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Install the printer, check whether it needs to remain switched off until the installer prompts

padre03

padre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I really appreciate all your assistance. During the day, I did some further investigating and found what seemed to be a similar problem & solution. Since my last post, I ran the cleanspl.exe program from the Microsoft Windows Resource toolkit download - now when I try to reload the driver, I get an error message stating the specified port is unknown. I've tried unistalling all my USB contollers in the device manager and rebooting, but I continue to get the unknown port message. I apologize if this complicates things, and promise not to do a thing until I hear back from you...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post 9 looks at removing the .msi installer parts, then clears the prefetch in case it is loading parts of the printer install, then it defragments the drive so the file system is ordered then it checks the system files are correct

Tune up checks for registry errors

Then the printer should install, some printers are OK with being connected to the PC, though they may prefer being switched off until the installer prompts

Hope it goes well