Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

forgot my password, needed to use recovery console

• Please log in to reply

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ps sorry for all the bad spelling its 4am here and my eyes have gone a bit wonkey:)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: We have guys here who pride themselves for their typo-ist abilities. You're doing great!

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok its copied the files rebooted and is now installing widows, 39 min on the clock until doomsday(which im sure in wont be after your superb info and instructions) if not out the window it goes lol:).
just kidding
is it late there over in the the us?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't setup the new installation with exactly the same username as the old...I have seen that cause data corruption. Choose a slightly different username for the new install. You may still be able to copy the data across without issue.

If you do get an "Access Denied" type error when you try to get the data, you will have to Take Ownership of the folders to recover them.

Your data should be located in C:\Documents and Settings\username and should be intact.

It's 8:37 PM here and 22*F.

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 09:39 PM.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok thanks. its getting there and so´s the smile on my face as i see light at the end of the tunnel im going to get e really big crimbo prezzie after fix my girlfriends laptop and so should you and keith get a big prezzie too :whistling:

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok its all up an running i clicked on the first windows option to start and its opend up fine, the only thing is that i have nothing there no documents or programms, any idea on this or should i star the other windows up at start?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open My Computer and double click on "Local Disk C:"

Double click on "Documents and Settings"

Is the old user name listed there?

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes it is, it was hidden when i double clicked on c drive. its working fine thank you ever so much for all your time and effort, hope you have a cracking christmas, and that a little help comes your way after all the help your giving others.
cheers and take care
ho ho ho! and a bottle of rum

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You may have to reinstall some of your programs to get them to work in the new installation. We can work on the other installation if you don't have the cd's...there may also be installers in the application folders we can use to install them.

I would recommend keeping the new installation and removing the old...once you have all the data moved across...and if reinstalling the programs isn't too big an issue.

Once you decide, let me know and we'll get this finished up. I'm here every day... :whistling:

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok thanks will get back to you on those, now time for a litlle shut and ready for a fresh start. catch you soon.cheers

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is access denied then

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...Keith is absolutely correct...I made mention that this may have to be done earlier in the topic. Once he has taken ownership of the files he should have full access.

Wish him a Merry Christmas for me....and you have a great holiday season, too! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

I made mention that this may have to be done earlier in the topic

That's where I purloined the link from :whistling:

xps

xps

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't have a windows xp cd

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
XPS

I don't have a windows xp cd

I have sent you a PM. Personal Message.
This thread is FOUR years OLD.
The last post before yours is dated 23 December 2006
Start a new thread please AND your post here does not tell us anything - I dont have a Windows xp cd - so what is the problem.
You wish to repair, reinstall, recovery console etc.