Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop power problems

• Please log in to reply

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello i have an advent 7011 laptop. it has all been working fine until the other night, when during a gaming session the screen went blank and then the laptop turned itself off. i thought it was plugged in and charging, but the DC connection to the laptop is dodgy and can sometimes lose connections. it could have been that it had just ran out of battery, or shut down due to heat as it is an intel processor and i belive they shut down at a certian temperature and this has happened before when i had the fan blocked up.
Anyway, the laptop battery was very hot so i let it cool off for half an hour, turned it on and checked the BIOS for any problems. It all seemed fine, and then it turned itself off again the same as before. i did notice that the charger wasnt as hot as it normally is after charging. After this the laptop wouldnt even turn on, and it was at this point i got worried.
The next day i thought it could be just that it hadnt charged the night before (due to the dodgy connection). so i plugged it into my 12v charger (my house has 12v and 240v) and left it to charge, came back later and the charging light had stopped charging so i presumed it had charged. i unplugged it, pressed the power button and... nothing. not even any fans powering up. I also tried running straight from power with the battery out, but no luck.
Now the laptop wont do anything, the charging light doesnt even come on when plugged in now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
my guess is, since you say the mains/charger input connector is "dodgy", the battery has run dead flat, and the connection has now become so dodgy that it's now not making a connection at all in the laptop's input socket.

Result? -- battery can't charge up and laptop can't run direct from mains either because of that same broken connector socket. Either the laptop input socket or the plug at the end of the cable is broken. Get them both checked out by a qualified person.

fnark

fnark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thankyou, sorry in delay in posting, would have quicker but i havent got my laptop lol. will get it checked out. Thats what i thought was most likely, just thought id see what people thought.
thankyou