Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Space Loss

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Have in the past few months noticed, my hard drive available space go from 30% free, down to 10% and is cvurrently running at 6%

I have removed emails, pictures, sound files, video files, etc and burned them on disk to save space, but we're dealilng here with gigabyte loss, not megabyte loss. I have removed Limewire(on your advice) from a previous post.

I noticced there is an option indicated on My Computer>Properties> "Compress Drive to Save Disk Space". Should I tick this off. "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" is already ticked off.

This is what I have on compouter in the way of programs at the present time.:

Ad-Aware Personal SE 3.42 megs
AVG Free Edition 23.33
HP Extended Scanner/Copier/Printer 583.90 megs
J2SE Runtime Environment 6.0 238 megs
Logtec Services(Webcam) 72 megs
Windows Office 2003 636 megs
Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.9 25.96 megs
Nero OEM 19.10 megs
Spybot 1.4 17.15 megs
Winamp 21.47 megs
Windows Live Messenger 39.89 megs
Yahoo IM & Toolbar 69.81

I am trying to see what I can remove, or am I doing this all wrong, and have hidden folders taking up the hard drive space.

Your help would be appreciated.

Be advised that I have a small harddrive 8.5 gigs.

Waynf

Advertisements