Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of my user profiles Help !

• Please log in to reply

diablo_luke2005

diablo_luke2005

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Attached File  Activescan.txt   15.1KB   238 downloadsAttached File  antivirusreport.txt   61.49KB   338 downloadsIve done a topic search but have not come accross any similar problem. sorry if this issue has been raised & if it has you can just direct me to the thread & ill study from there.tq

Im really in a big mess here, hopefully some1 here can help me .

Im running Windows XP with PCillin installed. One morning pcillin window just poped up saying that there were some unauthrised changes taking mlace on my registry & other location which I did not manage to write down.
I tried managing the changes by blocking it but before long it prompted me to restart my comp. to enable the changes. So after the restart & the profile page loads, When i click on any of my profile [ I have 2, 1 for work the other for game ] first it says loading my setting & just after that the msg reads logging off & saving my settings. In other words, I cant log onto the desktop\ & am completely locked out.

Next thing I did:
1. I tried reseting back to last good config, restarted but still same thing as above happens. cant log onto any profile.
2. Tried logging on as admin, still no result, cant log in.
3. Tried using my CD to run chkdsk/r, the process runs until completion & when restarting, still the same. Am still locked out.

Lastly after reading some comments, I took out my HD hocked it up to my sata drive & scanned it using Panda online scan & Kaspersky AV. attached is the log. I cant run HJT coz it would only read my other comp logs & not the HD.

Thank you for your kind advice

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you put the HD back into the computer?

Try to boot into Safe Mode (if you haven't already). While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.) This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter. Try both of your user accounts, as well as the default "administrator" account. This account probably has a 'blank' password. If you can get logged in, add a new user account and try to boot normally and log in with that one.

I'd highly recommend posting to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

diablo_luke2005

diablo_luke2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks fr the kind advice. some hope just crept in & ill just put down the sledgehammer for the time being.

Ive tried safe mode but also still locked out unfortunately. But ill follow this link http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html & see if it works. If not I hope you or anyone in the distingushed forum can assist me further.

Btw, how can I extract a HJT log when i cant log into my profile. The only thing now that I can do is to hook up the effected HD using external drive casing. Thats how i managem to scan using Panda & Kaspersky [ scan E drive ]. Any help on this.

Thanks again & happy holidays

Edited by diablo_luke2005, 21 December 2006 - 09:03 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Btw, how can I extract a HJT log when i cant log into my profile.

Well, you're right about that - if you can't get into Windows, you can't post a HJT log.

And I neglected to welcome you to Geeks to Go!

Let's try to repair your Windows XP installation.

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2 (if you CD is SP1), Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

See this link for additional information. Scroll all the way down to How to Repair Install.

Good luck.

diablo_luke2005

diablo_luke2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks soo much. Ill get on it.sorry for the lateness because of the festivals. You knw relatives & all.

I will post any results as i try the various solutions.

diablo_luke2005

diablo_luke2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear LindaG

Sorry for the late late reply. I was swamped with work all thru the holidays.

I followed your instructions loging into safe mode even in admin didnt work too. But I followed your instructions on using the windows cd and after abt 30 mins of windows installing, it worked with my original profile still intact.

Thank you soo much for your help. btw may I know which anti-virus software do you recommend & would it also prevent trojans / spywares / hijackers installing themselves?

Thanks again :whistling: :blink: :help: