Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The OS boots and then.. goes black.

• Please log in to reply

Kspaien

Kspaien

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I currently just received System Recovery discs for my computer because it never came with any and I was having issues. So I used them, went through the directions and did a Full System Recovery.

At the end of this little recovery it all works out smoothly until the OS loads. I get that screen that says 'Windows XP Home Edition' with the little loading bar for a second or two and then a black screen. It remains black... and doesn't do anything else. No loading, no nothing.

I'm supposed to go through a series of questions according to the directions. But instead I get this. How do I fix this?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Maybe a repair install is in order.

Actually, I had a problem like this last night. I had to recover with my Restore Disks and it wasnt writing them fast enough it said it would take 34hours. It used to take 10mins! So the drive died.

But that doesnt mean yours is dying. We will try to run a repair. Follow this link. It even has pictures if you get confused.
http://www.windowsxp...dexfullpage.htm

HTH!

Kspaien

Kspaien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well.... I don't have a OS cd. So I'm ultimately screwed there.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Can you access safe-mode?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have only one video card? or do you have two? is one of them built into the mother board and the other one a seperate card...like agp or pci?