Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver problem

• Please log in to reply

boyt

boyt

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there! I would like to seek some advise on a problem I am encountering with my display driver. Intermittently, the display driver will suddenly have an error and will cause the display settings to change to the lowest res 640 x 480. And sometimes will cause the PC to hang. So in both case, will need to be rebooted. I cant see any pattern as it does not happen regularly and not always on the same application that I am using. My PC is abt 2+ yrs old and this only started happening a couple of months ago. I tried to re-install the display driver (default installed by Windows XP) and still happens. Also tried to change to use the latest driver for my graphics card from NVIDIA website but it still happens. Here is my 2+yr old PC specs:
Acer Pentium 4, 2.4ghz
768MB ram
XP home ed.
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX-440 graphics card, 64MB
set to 32 bit, 1024 x 768
From Windows website, this card is in windows hardware compatibility list, so should not be a problem.
Is there anything else I need to check? Or could it be my graphics card is already spoiled? But i also did the graphics card tests (3d), i think from the nvidia software, and all passed.

Pls advise. Thanks a lot! :whistling:

Advertisements

boyt

boyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
By the way, this is the error message:
"The nv4-disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality."

Thank!

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Have you tried uninstalling the driver, and re-installing the original driver from the cd. This is the same card i use, and have never had any problems. I am using 5.6.7.3 made on 7/4/2004, try looking for that particular version somewhere like www.driverguide.com/ or www.driverfiles.net/.

boyt

boyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually this started happening only a month ago. My PC is already 2+yrs old. Yup, i tried removing and re-installing the drivers. But the problem still happens intermittently. Sometimes, even after bootup and after the desktop is displayed, the mouse pointer is missing and the system hangs. This is my nVidia display driver now:
Driver ver: 2.9.8.0
Driver date: 5/24/2002

Another info, this is the error log i found in the event viewer:
"The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."

Anybody can help? Thanks!

boyt

boyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anybody who knows how to fix this problem? Pls advise if i need to post more info about my setup. :whistling:
I guess if i can't fix this, i'll try removing the graphics card and just use the mobo sis display.
Pls help. Thanks!